Parallels Tools installation fails in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KevinS8, Mar 23, 2017.

1. KevinS8

KevinS8 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

a friend of mine asked me for help with this issue. He's using an XP VM in Parallels 12 (I think) to manage his cash registers for his restaurant. On Monday his VM started acting up and he complained that his keyboard stopped working.
    I must admit that I'm a Windows guy and don't know my way around Mac OS but I thought I'd give it the old college try and take a stab at it.
    Immediately after seeing the XP desktop he gets a bunch of messages that devices have been detected and drivers need to be installed. Turns out his Parallels Tools are trying to update and it uninstalls the Tools first including all the dirvers and then tries to install them again. This starts out fine at first as several of these device driver pop ups appear and disappear. I guess the installation is going through the devices and is installing one driver after the other.
    Then like clockwork the installation errors out at exactly 51%.

The (German) error message basically says this: An error occurred while installing Parallels Tools.
    Please restart Windows and try again. If this doesn't help click here to find out more on how to solve this problem.

At the bottom there's a Reboot button but:
    At this point you are unable to do anything in the VM anymore. It's completely stuck. You have to reset the VM and everything starts over again.

I was hoping that the mounted Tools image would contain the drivers readily available so I could just install the unknown devices manually but no luck on that front. I also thought about mounting an older version of prl-tools-win.iso but I couldn't find one online. Maybe the newest version of the Tools cause issues in XP but I couldn't find a way to verify my theory.

I'm usually really good at troubleshooting these things with the help of google but I'm at the end of the rope here on my end.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.
    I'm sorry I can't provide any detailed information about his specific OS version and Parallels Desktop build because I only managed to take a quick peek at it via Teamviewer.

Kevin

2. Hi Kevin, did you try to repair Windows installation? You can take a snapshot and then try to repair it.
    You can use this article for the Windows repair.

3. Also please provide us with the Parallels Desktop version and if the issue still persists please generate the problem report using this KB.
    Note: generate the report right after the Parallels Tools installation error and reply us back with the report ID

4. KevinS8

KevinS8 Bit poster

Thank you for your replies Maria. I'll have my friend generate a problem report and post the ID here as soon as I can.
    As for the Windows repair I have to see if he has access to the XP installation media. Like I said he's a restaurant owner and the VM has been set up by a third party. I doubt he has the CD/DVD for it.

5. OK, looking forward to the report ID, thank you for the provided info.

6. KevinS8

KevinS8 Bit poster

The Problem ID is 166573878. Thanks in advance for your help!

7. KevinS8

KevinS8 Bit poster

Any update on the issue?