Parallels Tools not installing - Coherence Greyed out - Windows isolated from MAC

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GavinW1, Oct 25, 2016.

1. GavinW1

GavinW1 Bit poster

I am using MAC Book Pro running MAC OS Sierra V 10.12 + Parallels V 12.0.2 (41353) - August upgrade from Version 11 - + Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit, x64 Processor.
    I have lost my sync with MAC OS. The Coherence Option under the View menu drop down is Greyed out.
    The Windows device manager shows the following under the "Other" category with a "Yellow Triangle with an Exclamation Mark" with a "White Circle with a Blue Question Mark" behind: Ethernet Controller; Multimedia Audi Controller; PCI Device; PCI Device; Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - So I have an isolated Windows system with no drivers (From Parallels Toolbox), so unable to access internet, etc etc.
    If I click on the Parallels logo in the MAC menu bar, then Preferences, no Toolbox Tab is reflected, only "Account | File Sharing | Advanced".
    I have clicked onto the Parallels application to show contents and located the prl-tools-win.tar.gz file and copied this locally under my Documents/Parallels folder where I have the Windows 10.pvm file. I have then mounted the pvm and under d:/windows then deleted the existing prl-tools-win folder, pasted the tar.gz file and extracted the contents to its "prl-tools-win" folder format with setup.exe file. I then closed everything down, re-booted and loaded Parallels and Windows 10. Then through File Explorer located the prl-tools-win folder and run the setup.exe file for the Tool install. It gets to just over 50% and you get a message to the effect "rolling back action" followed by a screen with "The wizard was interrupted before Parallels Tools could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete the installation at another time, please run setup again.
    I have worked with a qualified apple Systems engineer at my local support company. He completely re-installed Parallels, including the Toolbox with the same result. He loaded a Windows 7 operational pvm file to test and isolate. It works fine and no problems with Tools which reinstalled for that pvm and we had internet etc - so all drivers assumed to be functional on this pvm instance. This Engineer sees this as a Parallels Tools issue and advised to contact yourselves.
    My Windows 10 is an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro, so I only have a "Digital License" and consequently have to be careful not to trash that as I will loose my entire Windows and all installed applications - a good number!!.
    I also spoke with a local Windows Engineer with Parallels quals. He concurred with the above Engineer independently. He also advised to resolve the Parallels Tools issue first to achieve a working Windows environment and then to purchase a Windows 10 CD copy and they would then assist in migrating my digital position to the new CD license key which would provide better safety going forward plus migration path on new releases under current licensing terms.

Please can you advise me on the correct steps to resolve this; have a fault free Parallels install; with all Windows drivers functioning seamlessly with MAC so that I may work properly under Coherence.
    Kind regards
    Gavin

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, please send a problem report (menu Parallels Desktop -> Help -> Send a technical data) and post here its number
    Btw, the recommended way to install Tools is to choose in menu of Parallels Desktop -> Actions -> Install parallels tools

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016