Parallels Tools won't install in OpenSUSE 11.4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by ThomasT, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

Hi!

Today I installed OpenSUSE 11.4 within Parallels Workstation Extreme 4.
    At the beginning it is quite tricky, but finally I got it working. Nevertheless I had to disable the sound as it caused the VM to freeze completely!
    After removing the sound device from the configuration of the VM (right click on the VM -> Configure...) the VM works.
    The scroll wheel of the mouse is not working and you have to hit STRG+ALT to release the mouse. An installation of parallels tools should fix this...

I tried to install Parallels Tools in OpenSUSE 11.4 (64bit) several times but the install process fails.

What I did:
    - mounted the cdrom: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom --> no problem!
    - entered the path: cd /mnt/cdrom --> no problem
    - started the installation as root: "sudo ./install" or "sudo sh install" (I even tried "sudo sh install --force-install") --> no problem so far

What happens:
    The "Installer" opens with funny colored screens and tells me that something is missing that will be automatically downloaded/installed. The download seems to work fine (takes some time during the first try, network is up and running - I am writing this post with this very VM!) and finishes but the installation fails.
    At the end a message is displayed to take a look into the log.

That's it. No Parallels Tools installed.

The parallels.log (plain text) is attached to this post.

Any help or updated parallels tools that work are welcome...

Thanks in advance
    Thomas

Attached Files:

2. Dennis Henderson

Dennis Henderson Bit poster

I just encountered the same error with 32-bit OpenSUSE 11.4 KDE. The parallels Help file claims that OpenSUSE 11.x is a supported operation system but that appears to not be the case (and I don't expect any help from the Parallels "team" here - they've been pretty unresponsive for the past couple of years).

3. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

Hi Dennis!

I'll try to figure it out myself. At first I installed the missing "dkms"-package as this was the fist error within the log-file.

--------------------

Howto install DKMS on openSUSE 11.4:

Original place to find DKMS:
    http://linux.dell.com/dkms
    (There is no "how-to" given how to install it manually.)

You can't find it using YAST or YAST2. To solve this issue the following easy steps have to be done:

Open a shell, change to any directory of your choice for downloads:
    cd /home/"your-username"/Downloads

Download the rpm-file for dkms to install the package "semi-automatic" using yast2 with wget:
    wget http://linux.dell.com/dkms/permalink/dkms-2.1.1.2-1.noarch.rpm
    (You may close the shell now if you like.)

Back to your KDE-GUI: Software install/remove.
    Add a new repository (shortcut: STRG-R) --> Add... --> Local folder.
    Select the folder from above (/home/"your-username"/Downloads) and confirm every step. Update the new repository. And close the repository window.

Enter "dkms" (without quotes, of course) into the search field. --> It should be listed on the right immediately. If it doesn't something from the above mentioned went wrong.

Install it, DONE.

------------------------

After the installation of dkms the parallels.log changes, but the parallels tools are still not installed. I guess this is caused by 32bit vs 64bit.
    The new "first" error says: "cast to pointer from integer of different size". (See attached log).

But it may work for you with the 32bit distribution!

Kind regards
    Thomas

Attached Files:

4. feralchimp

feralchimp Bit poster

I just installed Parallels Tools version 6.0.12090.660720 on 64-bit OpenSUSE 11.4.

Like the OP, the installer complained that an error occurred while installing kernel sources, but inspection of the parallels tools log showed that the error was that dkms could not be installed.

I went to http://linux.dell.com/dkms and downloaded the latest stable .rpm, which as of this writing is version 2.2.0.0. After installing this version of dkms, I was able to complete the Parallels Tools install successfully, reboot, and am now enjoying full screen resolution.

5. stinklyonion

stinklyonion Junior Member

my machine is running on 32bit and it seems like it doesn't work on me.. i dont know if i just did something wrong..

6. tchintchie

tchintchie Bit poster

same problem different error log

hey all!

I have the same problem with installing the tools on open suse. it worked fine for other linux distros though... :-( but i need to get it to work on suse!

using openSUSE 12.2 (i586) with KDE 4.8.5

Parallels Desktop 7 Build 7.0.15098

here´s my error log:

Tue Sep 18 18:32:52 CEST 2012
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/3.4.6-2.10-desktop/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.6-2.10-obj/i386/desktop'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:23:24: fatal error: asm/system.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make[5]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o] Error 1
    make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet] Error 2
    make[3]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.6-2.10-obj/i386/desktop'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2012-09-18T18:32:55+0200: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2012-09-18T18:32:55+0200: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2012-09-18T18:33:00+0200: Exiting with code 1

it´s just impossible to use without the tools installed! any help would be highly appreciated :-/
    thx in advance
    tchintchie

7. mary28

mary28 Bit poster