Hi all,
I hope someone here has some kind of idea what might be going on because I have some very valuable data on my boot camp partition and I did not expect a trial of Parallels to destroy it...
I tried installing the Parallels trial version of Desktop 6. For some reason it would not ID my boot camp partition and said that I had to mount it using the disk utility. I thought this was strange but didn't think much more of it. I continued to use my computer for other purposes for about an hour and decided I wanted to head back to my BOOTCAMP side, so I restarted into Windows and recieved "Disk read error, press ctrl +alt +del" from the DOS prompt. Restarted a few times and continued to get the same error.
I returned to OSX and discovered that my BOOTCAMP partition no longer appears on my desktop, or as an option for Startup Disk. If I start Disk Utility, I see my OSX partition, and then I see my BOOTCAMP partition, but now it is unmounted (greyed out) and reads "disk0s3". Attempts to mount it have been unsuccessful. If I try the same from the terminal I receive "Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount".
I attempted to use Parallels to read the drive to at least recover my important documents but when I pointed it to the (what used to be) boot camp partition, the virtual machine reported "no OS installed on this drive".
In some research in the issue, I read something about MacFUSE or NTFS-3G locking down the mount abilities of the drive. Someone is having a similar issue as me here, for example. Finder does see a folder with one file called "ntfs-3g" in /opt/local/var/ in a FUSE folder, but other than that I see no indication of ntfs-3g being installed. Not only that but I attempted both uninstalling and installing MacFUSE from System Preferences. In both cases I could still not mount the drive or boot to my boot camp partition.
Please help! I'm really at my wit's end here and I am horrified at the thought of losing all of my data.
I hope someone here has some kind of idea what might be going on because I have some very valuable data on my boot camp partition and I did not expect a trial of Parallels to destroy it...
I tried installing the Parallels trial version of Desktop 6. For some reason it would not ID my boot camp partition and said that I had to mount it using the disk utility. I thought this was strange but didn't think much more of it. I continued to use my computer for other purposes for about an hour and decided I wanted to head back to my BOOTCAMP side, so I restarted into Windows and recieved "Disk read error, press ctrl +alt +del" from the DOS prompt. Restarted a few times and continued to get the same error.
I returned to OSX and discovered that my BOOTCAMP partition no longer appears on my desktop, or as an option for Startup Disk. If I start Disk Utility, I see my OSX partition, and then I see my BOOTCAMP partition, but now it is unmounted (greyed out) and reads "disk0s3". Attempts to mount it have been unsuccessful. If I try the same from the terminal I receive "Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount".
I attempted to use Parallels to read the drive to at least recover my important documents but when I pointed it to the (what used to be) boot camp partition, the virtual machine reported "no OS installed on this drive".
In some research in the issue, I read something about MacFUSE or NTFS-3G locking down the mount abilities of the drive. Someone is having a similar issue as me here, for example. Finder does see a folder with one file called "ntfs-3g" in /opt/local/var/ in a FUSE folder, but other than that I see no indication of ntfs-3g being installed. Not only that but I attempted both uninstalling and installing MacFUSE from System Preferences. In both cases I could still not mount the drive or boot to my boot camp partition.
Please help! I'm really at my wit's end here and I am horrified at the thought of losing all of my data.