Parallels Update 15055 is maxing out my processor consistently!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bill Hall, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Bill Hall

Bill Hall Member

Hello- Since moving from Parallels v6 to 7, the PRL_VM is taking over 100% (100-150%) of my processing. This used to happen about 1-2 times a day when Parallels was idle, but now since updating today to .15055 its doing it far more frequently. I have to suspend and restart Parallels about 5 times and its only 12:15pm here. I wish I could go back to 6, but know this isn't possible. I've reinstalled tools, CPU etc... totally out of control. Any advice?

Config:
    MacBookPro, 10.6.8, 8GB ram, 256SSD, Windows 7 (latest update)

What do I do... Parallels has become totally unusable!

2. jsnkay

jsnkay Bit poster

Also have this issue, I'm wondering if it is the update or if it is Apples's latest updates.. have you installed the recent ones from Apple ? theres been WIFI ones and firmware for BIOS and a OS one..

3. amontepaone

amontepaone Bit poster

Same problem in my system. Slow Installation in XP Client. On a Win7 Client the Installation stuck on 15%

4. jsnkay

jsnkay Bit poster

have you also recently just installed the MAC updates? and the EFI one?

5. amontepaone

amontepaone Bit poster

yes. Upgraded my Mac with last Updates just before installing Parallels Update

6. jsnkay

jsnkay Bit poster

I think the EFI update is doing something that Parallels doesn't like.. if you reinstall OS X you will work again for a limited amount of time before the same issue arises..

quite annoying because its also messing up vmwear so Apple must have broken something to do with the VM side of things.

7. amontepaone

amontepaone Bit poster

Strange is only, that my XP Workstation is working normally now. Only my Win7 WS is still installing and stuck on 15% of the Installation of the Tools...

8. SchneiderIS

SchneiderIS Bit poster

Is it possibly the Parallels Tools

My machine had appeared to be slow as well. From another issue I ended up uninstalling Parallels Tools and then re-installing them. The results were an improvement in performance along with a correction in the original error. Not a guaranties solution but one that might work.

You might also try the troubleshooter.

9. Gosseyn

Gosseyn Bit poster

Hi all,
    I have also the same problem on a MacBook Air 13" mid-2013 with 1.7 Ghz i7 CPU and 8 GB or RAM. My OS is Yosemite X 10.10.5 but I had the same issue with Mavericks. My Parallels version is 11 the latest but i had the same issue with version 9. The fact is I did not had this issue running Parallels Desktop from the beginning but only after a year. I have tried everything given in those pages :
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/116263
    after adding a new test VM it worked normally, then I restarted after connecting my virtual disk image and everything was well with the "Coherence" presentation, but I wanted to come back to my original desktop in Windows and the VM started again to consume more than 100% CPU.
    I have also tried :
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123349
    then reinstalling from scratch.
    Same issue.
    The VM can consume more than 100% of the CPU for 15-20 minutes and then come back to normal and this is OK the rest of the day, but sometimes it lasts one hour and can force MacOS X to go to sleep or it would damage the computer because the machine is too hot !
    The issue does not occur everyday the same, but everyday I have this problem. I'm afraid it would consume my computer as well if I can't solve it.

10. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Gosseyn,
    When the issue occurs, what are Windows Task Manager CPU and Memory consumption counters? If the issue doesn't occur in the new VM, most probably there is a piece of software installed in VM that is causing this

11. Gosseyn

Gosseyn Bit poster

Hi Marat,
    That's the first thing I have checked on the Windows VM : but no task was over 20% of CPU consumption in the Windows Task Manager. However, on the Mac, the VM was at more than 100%. Today, I have de-installed Parallels Desktop and reinstalled it from scratch, after a file cleaning. Then I have restarted the VM and the same problem occurs just after the VM startup for about 15 min then it came back to normal. But surprisingly, the issue did not occur again during the day and until now (it is 6:03 PM Paris time now), so I'm going to close and I'll check again the VM's behavior after a restart tomorrow morning, and I'll tell you.

Thanks,
    Alan (aka Gosseyn)

12. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Alan,
    If the issue occurs, please send us a problem report http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058
    this will help to check what's going on. When the report is sent, you'll see it's 8-digit number. please specify it here. Screenshots of CPU usage in Activity Monitor and Task Manager will also be helpful

13. Gosseyn

Gosseyn Bit poster

Hi Marat,
    Finally I was able to find out where the problem was : it is well with Microsoft Windows and not with Parallel Desktop. The fact is there was a hidden (system) processus using 100% of the CPU in Windows, but I haven't seen it because it was not belonging to my session/user. So after clicking on "Show processes from all users" in the Windows Task Manager, it showed itself. For me, but for some others it may be different, it is the "svchost.exe" bug, where the svchost.exe service is consuming too much CPU. See this web page if it can help : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065987
    I'm busy in updating Windows with Windows update and I'll report here if it solves the issue definitively.
    Thanks,
    Alan.

14. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Alan,

thanks for sharing this. Please be advised that in Windows svchost.exe represents a bunch of Windows Services. You can right-click it in task manager > go to services. It will highlight services that are in the bunch. After that you can open Windows Services (cmd+r > services.msc) and start stopping them till you find which one is causing this. This will help to narrow down the cause of the issue.

I've recently had the same issue with Windows Update Service. This fixed itself after I installed all possible Windows updates

15. Gosseyn

Gosseyn Bit poster

Hi Marat,
    Thanks for your advice. It was well Windows update but unfortunately the VM became so slow that it was impossible to apply the updates. I have saved the VM on another disk and reinstalled Windows on the original. Now, I'm working to install all the updates : this is a nightmare because there are more than 200 updates to download and install, and the process is frequently interrupted when the computer becomes too hot to be functional. I have to supervise it closely. Thanks for your help. I'll hope this will be solved at the very end of this task.
    Best regards,
    Alan.

16. Gosseyn

Gosseyn Bit poster

Hi Marat,
    After 2 days of Windows 7 reinstallation and after applying all the windows updates, all things are now back to normal. I don't have this bug anymore. It was painful but I have succeeded to make it work properly.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Alan.

17. marat_t

marat_t Pro

you are welcome =)