Parallels vs reset & migrate

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ChiaraL, Sep 1, 2020.

1. ChiaraL

ChiaraL Bit poster

Hello,
    Early this year I 'inherited' a 2017 MacBook Pro and want to use the language course extra material (.exe) provided in a Windows only CD ROM.
    I tested the trial version of Parallels Desktop 15.1.3 in March to see if it was compatible and everything worked smoothly for the 2 free-trial weeks.
    I didn't want to cause any issues with the previous owner of the MacBook Pro (my sister), but because of Covid-19 I haven't been able to go get support at the local Apple Store yet, so I postponed the migration from my old MacBook Pro; I just created a new User, made myself the admin, logged in with my iCloud, Apple Music, etc. and used this laptop as a new machine. I have owned Macs for decades but never shared any (haven't used Windows since 2000 :eek:) and I always migrated the old one to the new one from the get go; I have no experience of dealing with multiple users. I will eventually delete my sister's account, reset this Mac and migrate my old MacBook Pro into this one. My questions are:
    1. can I purchase the full version of Parallels from this Mac, install and run it now, then eventually do the whole migration thing, or does the activation of Parallels and the Windows license attach to this specific configuration I'm using now?
    2. I'm pretty positive it's (sadly) a yes, but do I need the Windows license to run that .exe file on top of Parallels Desktop 16? I really don't need Windows for anything else but this, but it figures the most expensive solution is the one I'm stuck with.
    3. Can I (and should I) test Parallels Desktop 16 since the only version I tried is now outdated?
    4. googling 'windows 10 license' opened a mayhem of ads and too-cheap-to-be-honest offers, so I looked at what's advertised on microsoft.com and it's 145 euro (from the Italian Microsoft store) "licensed for one PC". Again, do I lose this licensing if I reset & migrate? Also, there's no cheaper way to go considering I really only need to run a .exe file o_O

Thank you for your time and assistance,
    Chiara