Parallels & Windows XP won't Start-up

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RalphT, Aug 2, 2012.

1. RalphT

RalphT Member

Everything has been working really great for quite awhile - up until today!

When I start Parallels 6 running Windows XP SP3, the initial Parallels progress bar window pops up and just keeps scrolling, never going into Windows XP. When I click on the "Show" button, it says "NTLDR is missing". I then have to force quit it to close Parallels down.

I then tried shutting the Mac down completely and booting directly into Windows through Bootcamp. It went into a black start-up screen with the same message, "NTLDR is missing".

I assume this is a file or something missing in the Windows XP install and not Parallels since I am getting this same message with Parallels not running.

Please help. What do I need to do to correct this issue?

2. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

3. RalphT

RalphT Member

Hi Stuw,

I'm not sure I understand your first question. As it states in my signature, I am using Windows XP in Boot Camp along with Parallels 6.

I use Windows XP very little. Since it has been running fine, I have not changed or modified anything. It just "happened".

I went to the links you kindly provided and reinstalled the missing file. I started up Parallels again and it said a different file was now missing. I tried to reinstall that one with no success. I then read that it may be a corrupt boot file. I tried repairing that but did not meet with any success.

Instead of wasting any more time trying to replace missing files, continually rebooting and not having success (who knows how many files may need to be replaced), I think I would like to completely reinstall Windows XP. Could you, or someone, tell me the best way of doing this in my current Parallels 6/Bootcamp installation?

Thanks,
    Ralph