Paste password into Windows 10 login

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndrewK1, Feb 8, 2015.

1. AndrewK1

AndrewK1 Bit poster

I was wondering if it is possible to paste a password into the Windows 10 login screen. I have clipboard sharing enabled and it works fine once I am logged into Windows but if I try to paste into the Windows login screen it doesn't work with either cmd-v or going to the Edit menu. I use 1Password so I have a cryptic login password and it would make things much easier if I could copy/paste.

Andrew

2. kevin4

kevin4 Bit poster

I have the exact same issue as the op. I never intend to remember my hotmail login it is randomly generated, very very long and I use a password manager to keep track of it for me. But going with a local account login will break some features of windows 10.

There has to be some way to force the pasted password into the prompt or windows 10 is going to be a pain every single time it is restarted.

3. ThomasC6

ThomasC6 Bit poster

Any update on this? Having the same issue.

4. Hi, did you try to reinstall Parallels Tools?
    Also does the copy/paste work on the Windows side (in MS apps for example)?

5. ThomasC6

ThomasC6 Bit poster

Thanks - I reinstalled Parallels Tools, no effect. Pasting works fine once you are logged in. I think it is a MS security measure that prevents pasting in to the login prompt, or maybe the clipboard doesn't even exist in the context of the login window. I am working on a simple AppleScript to take the password from the clipboard and keystroke it in to the password field. Maybe this could be a feature enhancement for the next Parallels?

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  6. Thanks a lot for provided info!
    And one more question: if you enter password (without copy/paste), it's working right?

7. ThomasC6

ThomasC6 Bit poster

Yes, it works fine.

I will post the script once I have it working. I am running into a strange issue where AppleScript is changing Caps to lowercase automatically, which is a problem with passwords.

Thanks for a fantastic product! Don't know what I would do without it.

8. CathyT2

CathyT2 Bit poster

Hey ThomasC6 ... I'm having the same issue ... did you fix your script in the end ... would love a copy if you did!

9. ThomasC6

ThomasC6 Bit poster

Cathy - Not yet, I've just been typing it in like a numskulll. I'll keep you updated!

10. W.I

W.I Member

In windows VM use control-V to paste and not cmd-V

11. ThomasC6

ThomasC6 Bit poster

I wish it were that simple - the problem is that when the VM is logged out or locked, the clipboard isn't accessible, presumably for security reasons.

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, you are right the shared clipboard can be only accessed when Parallels Tools service start running which will only happen when Windows starts running (during Startup after login). So it is not possible as of now to paste login info on a Windows login screen.