PC died - I have all the licenses but cannot run the PC to migrate

Claire&

Bit poster
Hello,

I bought Parallels Desktop at the end of August. My PC crashed (I can't reboot it). Is there a way for me to migrate Windows and Office to my Mac (I have all needed licenses for both)?
Many thanks

Claire
 
Hi Claire, yes - as long as you have the proper licenses to re-install and activate Windows and Office you can use Parallels to run this on your Mac. Note that it isn't going to be as fast as a dedicated computer being its sharing memory with the host (Mac).
 
Thank you James. Do you know how I can install Windows (and Office, but I think this will be easier) in that case then? What shall I download it from? because the migration will not work.
Thank you very much!
 
You will need the media (cd/dvd) for both that the license key you have goes with. Note if you have an OEM license - that it isn't legal to use (OEM licenses are tied to the hardware they came installed on). Just want to make that disclaimer. Parallels has a guide that will walk you through the process here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4729
 
Thank you again James for helping. Do you mean that because my PC is dead I cannot use an OEM license, or is it anyhow that we cannot use them with Parallels?
It is something I didn't know (I bought Office and have the file to install it + license key, but not Windows).
Thank you for making it clearer for me (brand new to Parallels!)
 
Its just by the letter of the law an OEM license isn't meant to be transferred to another computer than the one it originally was installed on. Some say that MS doesn't really care if you reuse it. If you don't have a license key and the media that came with the computer that died the point is moot - a license key is absolutely needed.

Do not look on ebay for any media/licenses - even the auction sellers that claim they will send you an original cd and key are not to be trusted - got burned myself that way many years ago when I was a little more trusting and was sent a cheap burned copy. Took me a long time to get my money refunded as well. Newegg.com sells media and licenses that are 100% real and legal.
 
Thanks again James for helping and providing so much information.
One (hopefully) last question: once I have the license key, may I have Windows (or Office) installed on my PC and use it at the same time on the Mac (thanks to Parallels)? or will it de-install it from my PC? I thought I read that the PC would remain the same, but that sounds weird... (or too good to be true)
Many thanks!!!
 
Back
Top