PD 16.1.0 screen resolution issue Lion/Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PimS1, Oct 31, 2020.

1. PimS1

PimS1 Bit poster

I have several macOS VM's in Parallels Desktop. Since the 16.1.0 update both my Lion (10.7) and Snow Leopard Server (10.6) revert to 1024x768 resolution and this cannot be changed. All other VM's (Mavericks and above) work as before, with variable and higher resolutions. I reinstalled Parallels Tools in both VM's. This problem was not present in PD 16.0. Is this a known issue? Anything I can do myself to solve this?

warnergt likes this.
  2. Toyo

Toyo Bit poster

I have the exactly same problem with the display resolution in my VM Lion 10.7 since the 16.1.0 was installed!

3. DanC15

DanC15 Bit poster

Same here. Tried reinstalling parallels tools using sudo - no luck.

Calpike likes this.
  4. EricO3

EricO3 Bit poster

Yep. Ditto here. 1024x768 resolution on both Lion and Mountain Lion; Mavericks and above all good.

Calpike likes this.
  5. LarsL2

LarsL2 Bit poster

I have a Windows program where all graphics disappear after a while and I have to restart the program every time otherwise the graphics will not be shown. This worked fine before the 16.1.0 update! Parallells, please take action on this.

6. PimS1

PimS1 Bit poster

Thanks for your replies, this seems to confirm it as a bug in Parallels Tools since 16.1.0. I'm new here, will this be read by Parallels or do we need to file a bug report?

7. Hello, could you please provide us with a screenshot of the issue and also collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please
    (Please do not forget to share the report's ID number with us)

8. CharlesK8

CharlesK8 Bit poster

To whom it may concern,
    Attached is a screenshot of what I think everyone else has reported. You will note that the VM proportion is far larger than it was before I installed the update (or upgrade) to Parallels 16.1 and its consequential update to the Desktop toolbox, extensions, or whatever Parallels calls tim.

Attached Files:

9. JayJJJ

JayJJJ Bit poster

Same issue as reported previously in this thread: My Snow Leopard Server "Guest OS" now only has a display resolution of 1024x768! I submitted Technical Report 353866473 at 8:26PM CST on 06-Nov-2020. My Windows10 Guest OS (a "BootCamp" wholly contained disk) appears unaffected.

warnergt likes this.
  10. jlorre

jlorre Bit poster

Same here: Since the 16.1.0 update my VM with OSX 10.6.8 VM reverted to 1024x768 resolution and this cannot be changed to more resolution as it did before the upgrade. The host server is a MacBook pro (15,4-inch (2880 x 1800) NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB graphics with two additional external screen: Apple Thunderbolt Display 27-inch (2560 x 1440) with OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

warnergt likes this.
  11. Calpike

Calpike Bit poster

Same issue. Updated to Parallels 16 and the resolution preferences pane in Snow Leopard Server (10.6) now has only 1024x768 resolution. I had multiple resolution options with earlier versions of Parallels. Have not changes the virtual container for 10.6. The only change was to update Parallels.

warnergt likes this.
  12. Calpike

Calpike Bit poster

Have tried installing SwitchResX, but still am unable to get any other resolution. Also tried downgrading from Parallels 16.1 to 16.0, but still see only 1024x768. Windows 10 VM seems to be fine.

warnergt likes this.
  13. Hi, it's known issue and Parallels Engineering Team are currently working on the resolution.
    We will update you once any solution or workaround will be available.

StevenD9 and Calpike like this.
  14. StevenD9

StevenD9 Bit poster

I am having the same issue, once we updated to Parallels 16.1 our only choice in the Snow Leopard Server (10.6) guest os is 1024x768 resolution. The host os is Mac OS 10.15.7

warnergt likes this.
  15. StevenD9

StevenD9 Bit poster

Also, I submitted a technical report ID 354252684, thank you

16. HenryC11

HenryC11 Bit poster

17. warnergt

warnergt Member

I have the very same problem with Snow Leopard Server.

18. HenryC11

HenryC11 Bit poster

Looks like the PD build 48950 fixed the issue on my Leopard Server, but not in Snow Leopard Server.

Attached Files:

19. PimS1

PimS1 Bit poster

PD build 48950 is the build with the issue I reported. It has been acknowledged by Parallels, still waiting for a fix.

20. HenryC11

HenryC11 Bit poster

The latest release 16.1.1 has corrected the issue and restored the alternate resolutions in the Display preferences for Snow Leopard.

Attached Files:

goro1 and Maria@Parallels like this.