PD14: Error when installing Windows 10 (German version)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RobertE2, Aug 23, 2018.

1. RobertE2

RobertE2 Bit poster

I ran into an issue when installing a german version of Windows 10 in Parallels Desktop 14. Near the end of the installation I get the attached error message. By clicking ok, the system reboots and shows the exact message again, and again....

The error message roughly translates: The response file for the unattended installation for (oobeSystem) was not able to be analyzed or processed. The settings in the response file can not be applied. The error occurred at processing the component (Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup)

I tried the Windows 10 version that Parallels downloads automatically and 2 ISOs downloaded directly from Microsoft (1709 and 1803), with the same result. Installing an english version of Windows 10 works perfect.

Attached Files:

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @RobertE2, I have forwarded this to Parallels Engineering Team for investigation. Once there are any updates, I will let you know.

3. vitalb

vitalb Parallels Developers

Hallo Robert,

I've just checked and it works by me well. Could you please provide us problem report number? You need select 'manual mode' as you see this message and than select 'Hilfe - Technische Datei senden' in PD menu.

Additionally, i will ask you to send some files from guest Windows. After getting this bug you have uncomplete guest OS state. You need mount harddisk from your VM to MacOSX via Parallels Mounter:
    - open your VM in Finder
    - select MacOSX menu 'Paketinhalt zeigen'
    - select harddisk.hdd and menu item 'Öffnen mit...' "Parallels Mounter", use readonly mode
    - in Finder from disk C from folder Windows\Panther select next files (you can attach these files to the report of problem, you can omit empty files):
    - cbs_unattend.log
    - cbs.log
    - setupact.log
    - setuperr.log
    - unattend.xml
    - all files from subfolder UnattendGC

Thank you,
    Vitaly

4. vitalb

vitalb Parallels Developers

Or you can upload the archive with logs to any convenient file share.

5. RobertE2

RobertE2 Bit poster

The report ID is 272352541
    Thank you!

6. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you very much, Robert, we're investigating.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi Robert, we have diagnosed the issue and will be working on its fix. Please do the following to workaround the issue and install German Windows 10.
    1. Download Windows 10 installation image but do not start installation.
    2. Create an empty Windows 10 virtual machine: go to Parallels menu > Control Center > Click '+' button > Select middle option 'Install Windows or another OS...' > click 'Continue' > click 'Choose Manually' > put a checkmark to 'Continue without a source' checkbox and click 'Continue' > confirm virtual machine OS type (Windows 10) > proceed with selecting VM profile and name > finally click 'Create'.
    3. Stop the virtual machine via 'Actions' menu > 'Stop'.
    4. Go to VM config > Hardware > Boot Order > place CD/DVD on the first place.
    5. Go to CD/DVD (above Boot Order) > Source > connect downloaded installation image.
    6. Proceed with Windows 10 manual installation. The virtual machine will be created successfully.
    Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.