PD18 Win11 ARM 8 bit color depth

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by simonma, Aug 10, 2022.

1. simonma

simonma Bit Poster

Just upgraded to PD18 and install Win11 ARM with Parallels Tools from fresh. Windows showed 8 bit color depth. Tried many ways incl. reinstall parallels tools but failed. Anyone has the same issue ?

2. simonma

simonma Bit Poster

Anything wrong here ?

Attached Files:

3. FrancisC7

FrancisC7 Bit Poster

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, i'm struggling to see any possible way of changing this in any of the windows or parallels settings. I wouldn't be too bothered but it makes everything look really bad - especially any gradients make me feel like i'm using windows 98!

Attached Files:

4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

It shows 8 bit colour depth for me too. Looks like it's only an issue with the display of the colour depth in settings though. The actual colour depth has to be higher as Windows is obviously displaying more than 256 colours.

5. serv

serv Parallels Developers

This 8-bit color depth is per channel, i.e. each of red, green and blue color components are 8-bit wide.
    To verify pixel size, click "Display adapter properties for Display 1" and press "List all modes" button. A pop-up will show up with selection indicating current mode.

6. FrancisC7

FrancisC7 Bit Poster

I raised this as I saw banding on the background image on Windows 11. Having sense checked, i'm definitely seeing more than 256 colours. The list all modes is displayed as 32-bit colour and viewing gradients from various sources, it's clear this isn't an issue... I blame poor quality Windows 11 backgrounds!!