I, like many others, upgraded from PD3 to PD4 this past week. The installation of PD4, over PD3, went without a hitch. However, like others, I too ran into issues upgrading my two VM's - Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro. Both are non-bootcamp.
While many reported, and expected to have to re-activate Windows upon the upgrade, I was hoping that it was not going to be the case for me. However, when upgrading the VM's, I was forced to do it manually and in the process I was asked to re-activate Windows. I did not re-activate Windows and decided to do some testing.
The first test I did was to move VM's between different computers. As I did this, I noticed that each time I registered the VM in PD4 (opening the VM for the first time), PD4 would generate a new MAC address for the network adapter. This seamed odd to me because, in PD3, i could copy and re-use my VM's without this happening.
The second test I did was to remove everything from my system and re-install PD3. Upon completion, I validated that I could copy my VM's without the MAC address changing.
The final test was re-upgrading from PD3 to PD4 and then attempting to upgrade my VM's again. However, this time, before allowing the conversion of the VM, I checked the MAC address on the network adapter and sure enough, it had changed. I changed it back to what it was in the PD3 configuration and completed the conversion.
The result - no conversion issues at all - went through steps 1 - 4 without any errors - AND - no Windows re-activation required. By the way, the VM's were already set to autologin so there were no changes needed for me there.
So, for those of you experiencing problems with the upgrade to PD4 and the conversion of your Windows VM's, if you have the ability to start the process over, try it again but ensure your VM's network MAC address does not change and see what happens.
A question for the Parallels team - should PD4 be generating new MAC addresses everytime the VM gets copied or moved? While I know that this behavior may be standard in many VM products (VMware, Fusion, etc...) it would appear that PD4 is operating different than PD3 in this area.
Thanks,
James
While many reported, and expected to have to re-activate Windows upon the upgrade, I was hoping that it was not going to be the case for me. However, when upgrading the VM's, I was forced to do it manually and in the process I was asked to re-activate Windows. I did not re-activate Windows and decided to do some testing.
The first test I did was to move VM's between different computers. As I did this, I noticed that each time I registered the VM in PD4 (opening the VM for the first time), PD4 would generate a new MAC address for the network adapter. This seamed odd to me because, in PD3, i could copy and re-use my VM's without this happening.
The second test I did was to remove everything from my system and re-install PD3. Upon completion, I validated that I could copy my VM's without the MAC address changing.
The final test was re-upgrading from PD3 to PD4 and then attempting to upgrade my VM's again. However, this time, before allowing the conversion of the VM, I checked the MAC address on the network adapter and sure enough, it had changed. I changed it back to what it was in the PD3 configuration and completed the conversion.
The result - no conversion issues at all - went through steps 1 - 4 without any errors - AND - no Windows re-activation required. By the way, the VM's were already set to autologin so there were no changes needed for me there.
So, for those of you experiencing problems with the upgrade to PD4 and the conversion of your Windows VM's, if you have the ability to start the process over, try it again but ensure your VM's network MAC address does not change and see what happens.
A question for the Parallels team - should PD4 be generating new MAC addresses everytime the VM gets copied or moved? While I know that this behavior may be standard in many VM products (VMware, Fusion, etc...) it would appear that PD4 is operating different than PD3 in this area.
Thanks,
James