Performance issues on PD15 with Catalina 10.15.6

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SandroL2, Aug 3, 2020.

1. SandroL2

SandroL2 Junior Member

Hi there
    Whenever I am running Windows 10 on my PD VM, I get performance issues periodically (several times throughout the day), such as high CPU and memory usage and the related high ventilation as a result of that. When checking task manager I notice that the process "Desktop Windows Manager" is usually taking the top spot and is taking up a lot of resources. Any ideas?

Much appreciated!

2. danderson2

danderson2 Bit poster

I had a big issue with 200%+ CPU two weeks ago w/ Catalina and PD15. After going through all the forum posts and trying every suggestion for two days, the one thing that fixed everything for me was to clone the VM. It took about an hour or so for the cloned version to settle in and I've been up and running flawlessly since then.

3. Hello, did you try the clean boot?

4. Thanks a lot for sharing your solution.
    Also you can try to create an empty VM and add hard drive from your first VM to the empty one and check the issue.

5. danderson2

danderson2 Bit poster

Oooh that's something I never considered. Will try that if this happens again. But honestly, this is the first time anything like this has happened in 10+ years.

6. SandroL2

SandroL2 Junior Member

I tried the clean boot, as suggested. However, note that the only services apart from the Windows ones were "Parallels Coherence Service" and "Paralells Tools Service". Also on the startup services I only had Skype (on disabled already) and "Windows Security notification icon" (which I disabled). After disabling all of the previously mentioned services/startup processes, the Desktop Windows Manager still ended up consuming roughly about 180-200MB of Memory after I started up Excel and PowerPoint for about 10-15mins (top consumer together with PPT with also c. 200MB Memory usage, leading to an overall consumption @ 60-70% of Memory). Also note that Desktop Windows Manager still uses about 85-90MBs of Memory w/o any applications running in Windows (apart from Task Manager to monitor consumption) - is this normal? Also I noticed that since I am not using Coherence anymore the performance is not as badly affected, however the values reported above relate to the VM running not in Coherence... What do you make of the above results?

7. Could you please try to create an empty VM and add your hard drive from 1st Vm to the new created one.

8. SandroL2

SandroL2 Junior Member

Could you pls provide more detailed instructions? I could not find proper documentation in the knowledge base...