Performance issues - Win 11 Insider Preview (great) vs Win 11 Home (good)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TarasY, Feb 22, 2022.

1. TarasY

TarasY Bit poster

Hi everyone. I tried out Win 11 using the "Windows Insider Preview" build of Windows 11 for Arm (Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_22533.VHDX). I was very happy with how it performed - for example, I installed the game Far Cry 2 and it worked beautifully straight off with no extra configuration.

I then deleted that installation and installed the standard Win 11 build via Parallels' built-in installer, and bought a license for Win 11 Home. This build (Version 21H2 Build 22000.318) works well for apps, but it seems to have taken a whole lot more setup/configuration to get things like the screen resolution right, and even then there are oddities like the mouse cursor being oversized or moving too slowly.

Far Cry 2 now takes much longer to load, and a few very specific graphics elements are odd - for example, trees have extremely blocky leaves.

So my question is: Are the 'improvements' I saw in the Windows Insider Preview simply yet to arrive in the official version of Windows, or have I misconfigured something along the way? Or were the things I saw specific to Win 11 Pro rather than Home? Thanks!

2. TarasY

TarasY Bit poster

Doh, the boxy trees was because I had anti-aliasing turned on in the game. Think I can cope with the rest of the issues..!