Performance with Monterey guest on Parallels 17

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AlfredC2, Jan 22, 2022.

1. AlfredC2

AlfredC2 Bit poster

Hi,

May I get some feedback on the performance with Monterey guest (or any past MacOS in general between Monterey and Mojave) on Parallels 17? I would like to upgrade to the latest version but hesitating because of the past experience. I would like to know if there is any improvement for the newest Parallels version with newer MacOS guest.

Background: My experience with the performance with Mojave guest on Mojave host on Parallels 14, on 2018 MacBook Pro with 32gb RAM and 4gb GPU memory, was bad. It's slow in general, limited screen resolution, and some applications would have artifacts (black bars) on the UI, such at tabs in Safari. The Graphics in VM limited to 256mb as showed inside the VM, even when 2GB was assigned to the graphic memory for profile.

2. ShreefE

ShreefE Bit poster

3. ChristianK32

ChristianK32 Bit poster

The situation has slightly improved with macOS Big Sur as Apple added support for a paravirtualized graphics device. Performance is far from native performance but way better than it was with older macOS versions. The available graphics device memory inside the guest has little to do with the actual memory available for graphics as it acts more or less like a transitional buffer to copy graphics memory data in the guests' system memory space. No native GPU acceleration is involved here.