Pinnacle Studio 14 not working in Win7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hmolen, Dec 24, 2009.

1. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi RodR,
    please check suggestions from post #18. Please note that in case you use 32-bit Windows installation in VM, it simply does not recognize RAM more then 4 GB.

2. RodR

RodR Bit poster

Same issue

I-Chi: I am using 64 bit windows as guest OS so hopefully the 6 gb memory is ok. Was actually going to try your previous recommendations tonight when I get home. Will let you know how things turn out. Rod

3. RodR

RodR Bit poster

Same issue

I-che: Tried the suggestions:
    1. Disabled 3D video acceleration: same result, Pinnacle still could not "see" driver or video card.
    2. Enabled 3D video acceleration: no luck..........screen went black.

4. RodR

RodR Bit poster

Pinnacle 14 Ultimate now working in Parallels 5

Hello everyone: Received word from RT support and was provided solution to allow pinnacle studio 14 to work in Parallels 5. (The guest OS that I am using is Windows 7 Home Premium). My pinnacle studio 14 ultimate is now running surprisingly well considering it is running in a Virtual Machine!! The solution is in the directions as follows:

Please click on the link given below and update your Parallels Desktop.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/download/dr/

After the update is complete please start your windows.

It will ask you to update Parallels Tools, if you do not get automatic installation window.

Please click on Virtual Machine in the Mac menu bar --> Install Parallels Tools.

Once the installation is complete reboot your Windows.

Shut Down your Windows.

Click on Virtual Machine in the Mac menu bar --> Configure --> Hardware.

Video increase it to 256.

Click on options --> Shared Profile --> Disable it.

Start your Windows it will log you out and log you back in.

The solution above certainly worked in my case!!! Rod

5. hmolen

hmolen Member

The shared profile setting made the difference !!!
    All other items were not relevant as I already had that setting.
    The only difference was the 'shared' setting that I switched off.
    Very strange and I see no real explanation for this or can I think of one.
    Why would the 'shared' setting stop Studio14 from starting in Parallels.
    This looks like a specific Parallels setting.
    Is there an explanation for this I-che ?
    Now I have another problem.....the Pinnacle DVC120 does not get recognized in Studio but I am not sure if this is Parallels related, although I am not sure....
    @RodR: Do you have an input device connected to 'capture' video connected and does it work ?
    I have the DVR120 in Win7 connected with the Vista drivers and it works (is active in Windows) but Studio14 does not "see" it.

6. hmolen

hmolen Member

Sorry for the confusion but I have found the reason why it does not recognize the DVC120 anymore.
    Extensive searching in the guts of the Pinnacle website/servers learned me that support for the DVC120 has been taken off.
    No Win7 drivers nor even on the list of "supported" devices.
    Guess I have to revert to WinXP and Studio12 to be able to keep using my DVC120.
    Hurray for Virtual Machines, I just installed a new VM with XP and Studio 12 on it and all is fine now.
    Thanks all for the help.

7. RodR

RodR Bit poster

Camera/Camcorder Devices Not Seen in Win 7 guest OS

hmolen: ugghhh!!! Was hoping that this was the last of this issue but alas, I have the same problem. After spending some time on this it appears that Win 7 OS in Parrallels does not "see" the firewire/iLink driver/port on the computer. When my camcorder is plugged in the guest OS in parallels does not "see" the camcorder because it apparently cannot "see" the ports (specifically the firewire/iLink card/port). The camcorder works fine in host OS (snow leopard 10.6.2) so it is not an issue of "physical attachment" or a "bad port or connection". Rather, this seems to be a driver issue in parallels (just guessing) whereby the guest OS (Windows 7) does not have access to the firewire/iLink port/card. I did go ahead and call Sony (the maker of my particular Mini DV Camcorder) and specifically ask about drivers and the response was that the camcorder did not need any specific drivers as long as it was plugged into a firewire or iLink port but that the OS had to have access to the port in order to recognized that a camera was attached to it. Therefore, until the Parallels team can find a fix we are probably out of luck. I have submitted another RT and will post any fixes they come up with on this string. I have a suspicion that if I could adapt my camcorder to USB 2.0 that the system would recognize the camera as the USB ports seem to be working fine. Which brings me to a question, are you using a USB or firewire connection ? If you are using a firewire connection then that theory goes out the window ! :0) Hope someone from Parallels is monitoring this string.

8. I-che

I-che Pro

Hm, I have to admit, I did not think about shared profile in this case... Good to know everything works, though.
    Please note that currently Parallels Desktop does not support FireWire.

9. hmolen

hmolen Member

I am using a USB2.0 device connected to the port directly on the back of the iMac.
    The device is a Pinnacle DVC120 and it does get recognized by Win7 when I activate/connect it in the USB list.
    I am using the Vista drivers that were recognized by the GuestOS/Win7 inside Parallels but when I start Studio14 it does not get recognized by Studio14, it doesn't show up in the list of possible/other devices either.
    I found out in the Studio14 (Avid-site, their support site) support pages that the list of supported devices in Studio14 is lacking the DVC120.
    I have a request open now with Pinnacle if this is true and that I have to buy a new device just because I moved to Win7.
    To make a long story short....the Parallels problem is solved (although Studio 14 and 12 still whine about the display driver that is not recognized), it does not crash anymore but now I have a useless Studio14 package and am out of the upgrade fee of $300.- or so.
    Ah well, a hobby is a hobby and hobbies cost money, too bad.
    Anyway, I will use XP and Studio12 again, pity...no HD...

10. Kull

Kull Bit poster

Same problems with Studio

Tried the adjustments suggested for the video configuration and continued to have the same problems... any other suggestions? My Studio application will only boot up and then give me the unknown video device warning and shuts down.

11. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Kull,
    please disable shared profile for VM and reinstall Pinnacle Studio.

12. RMV

RMV Bit poster

Hi everyone. I have the same problem, and waiting for the solution!!!!!

13. RMV

RMV Bit poster

The same, I can't work with studio 14 in parallels 5 on my MAC , grrrr :)
    I need a solution, please

14. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi RMV,
    a solution has been provided above, please check.

15. RMV

RMV Bit poster

Hi I-che,
    i have the spanish version and now for this version ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-5.0.9344.558741.dmg I don't have an activation key ¿?

I must pay for it?
    I bought the spanish version just 1 mont before!!!

16. RMV

RMV Bit poster

Yes, but I need the spanish version or a new activation key¿??

17. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi RMV,
    if you purchased Spanish version of Parallels Desktop 5, but an earlier build (for example, 9308), you do not have to pay anything for update 9308 > 9344. The program should not ask for activation key if you update from Spanish version to Spanish version. In any case, if there are some licensing questions, it is better to contact sales representatives: link here .

18. EamonnB

EamonnB Bit poster

Same problem here. Brand new iMac. Firewire working in in FCE in Mac OSx, but not showing in Device Manager in Windows 7 on Virtual os.

19. EamonnB

EamonnB Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

20. EamonnB

EamonnB Bit poster

If you try to reinstall P 5.0 will this over-write everything on the virtual os?