Plugging in Xbox controller crashes OSX 10.9

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by notrodash, Nov 2, 2013.

1. notrodash

notrodash

Hello,
    I am using Paralells Desktop 9 and I have a virtual Windows 7 Ultimate Machine. When plugging in my Xbox controller and attaching it to the virtual machine, my host system (OS X Mavericks 10.9) freezes. The only way to unfreeze it again is to reboot my Mac. I have the Tattiebogle Xbox controller driver installed (On OSX) and it detects my controller without any problems. Only when I attach it to the VM it crashes the host system. Is anybody else experiencing this issue and is there a fix? Am I missing some drivers? I have not had any problems with my Xbox controller on 10.8.x.

2. JohnnyChrist

JohnnyChrist

I too had this problem (And this is the first response on both google and ddg so I feel obliged to answer with something that helps people).

To fix it, I moved /System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext out of the extensions folder (Where doesn't matter. You can delete it if you want.) so that it wouldn't be loaded (This will stop you from using the controller inside of OS X, unfortunately) and then rebooted. The problem seems to stem from Tattiebogle rather than Parallels, since without Parallels running I would occasionally get crashes when I unplugged the controller.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  3. Joseph Howse

Joseph Howse

This fork of the Tattiebogle drivers fixed the crash for me: https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases. It also improves force feedback support! Just download the latest DMG and run the installer. It installs itself over any old version of the Tattiebogle drivers that you may have.