Poor VM performance on iMac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KevinS12, Feb 23, 2018.

1. KevinS12

KevinS12 Bit poster

iMac Pro with 18 cores and 128GB RAM tested.
    1) When setting the number of processors, it shows 32 available instead of 18 (real) processor cores. On a 4-core laptop (late 2013 MacBook Pro), it shows 4 available. I believe this is a Parallels bug.
    2) We set the processors to 32, and RAM at 64GB: Performance for CFD software slower than laptop, but not by much. Geekbench shows iMac Pro >4X speed of laptop. iStat Menues showed all 36 cores (includes virtual) bouncing away most of the time.
    3) We set processors to 16 (guessing likely performance issues with trying to use virtual cores?), same RAM. Performance ridiculously slow, where a 1-sec iteration on laptop took 5 minutes. iStat Menues showed 18 cores bouncing away most of the time - every other bar was bouncing to full use.
    Is Parallels 13 is not ready for the iMac Pro? We are considering buying them for workstations and using them with Parallels 13.

Any ideas?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @KevinS12 , please keep the cores in the recommended range and then follow the step suggested in the article and check if that helps.

3. JasonW10

JasonW10 Bit poster

I'm curious as to how you are able to fix the issue. I just ordered a 10-core iMac Pro with 128gb RAM and will run and use Windows 10 for a majority of my work. Lowering the processors to 16 should've sped up the VM but in your case it didn't. I was planning on giving my VM at least 8 of my 20 processor threads (or 4 of the 10 real cores).