Port Forwarding

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by BenJ5, Sep 26, 2022.

1. BenJ5

BenJ5 Bit poster

Ok, so there's no port forwarding options on the M1 version. I read somewhere (can't find it again) that I have to do this in a text config file, which I've done.

It's not working. Connection refused.

I am trying to get Filemaker Server 19 setup in a macOS 12 virtual machine. I have the same setup on an old intel macmini and FM Server 16, but need to upgrade as FM GO 19 is not compatible with v16 server.

Any idea on how to get Parallels to open the ports for FM Server just like I used to on the intel version of Parallels? It was fairly easy there, but I'm not getting any luck on the M1 version.

2. BenJ5

BenJ5 Bit poster

3. BenJ5

BenJ5 Bit poster

What's the status of this? How do you do port forwarding?

4. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please note that, in contrast to the regular Parallels virtual machines, macOS ARM virtual machines (that run on Mac computers with Apple M1 Chip) are built using Apple's Virtualization framework (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization), and they are currently quite limited in their functionality (see http://kb.parallels.com/125561 -- see "Known issues and limitations").

Our Development Team is working together with Apple to expand the functionality of these virtual machines.

We advise you to subscribe to this article http://kb.parallels.com/125561 ("Get Updates" button) to get informed once there are any updates on this.

5. BenJ5

BenJ5 Bit poster

That's not the point.

You have a non-GUI way of changing settings - in the config.ini file. I'm saying, you should have developed a GUI like normal versions of Parallels to change those settings. I'm not suggesting you add more features, just that there should be a GUI to change the settings that DO exist within a config.ini file. Your GUI should create and edit that config.ini. It's not hard to do that. And it shouldn't be taking years to do it.

Incidentally, for macOS 13 VM's (I only discovered this after posting the follow up above) Port Forwarding is enabled so your devs have been working on that part. It now allows a macOS VM to be selected as the destination for a port, something that was missing before.

So for Port Forwarding, it looks like we are good to go. But there are still settings that require editing of a .ini file like Shared vs Bridged networking, and other settings eg.

[Hardware]
    vCPU.Count=2
    Memory.Size=2147483648
    Display.Width=1920
    Display.Height=1080
    Display.DPI=226
    Sound.Enabled=1
    Network.Type=2

This should all be editable in the GUI (ie... the old settings menu accessible thru the gear icon that is currently greyed out for M1 macos 12/13 VMs)