Print to OneNote from mac application?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SamuelFL, Jul 5, 2012.

1. SamuelFL

SamuelFL Bit poster

Is there a way to get the Print to OneNote feature to work within a mac application? I suppose you could do this if you could share Windows printers with your mac (I know you can do the opposite). Is that possible? Thanks.

2. SamuelFL

SamuelFL Bit poster

I was able to turn on sharing in Windows and then load the shared printer with Lion. Unfortunately, nothing happens if I tell Lion to print from that shared printer.

I did find a partial workaround though. This only works for documents opened in google chrome. Open up google chrome in your Windows virtual machine, enable google cloud print, and then add the 'Print to OneNote' printer. Now, back in Lion, whenever you open up a print dialog in chrome (assuming you're logged into your google account), you can select Print to OneNote from the list of of Google Cloud printers. This will send the document to OneNote on your Windows virtual machine. For Office documents, I've just made Office 2010 (from the Windows virtual machine) my default programs within my mac partition (I actually prefer Office 2010 over 2011 for mac anyway). Then I can just use the Print to OneNote function normally.

3. smaskell

smaskell Bit poster

Nice workaround. I like it. Not ideal but since mostly anything I want to send to onenote are pdf's from one of my university's many website, it works pretty well. Thanks!

4. RolandWessling

RolandWessling Bit poster

Brilliant

I can't thank you enough. I tried all sorts of potential solution, last of which was installing the Fingerprint app, but none worked. The Google Cloud Print worked in less than 1 minute. Just brilliant!!!

5. CarolineA

CarolineA Bit poster

Adding functions to this great workaround

Thanks so much for this--definitely helped me work out some integration kinks.

I wanted to figure out how to implement google cloud print further and allow for a Print to OneNote-esq function from my other mac apps and added options to make the process convenient regardless of where I am viewing the file I want to send or what type of file I am viewing. I found the Cloud Printer app in the App Store allowing for some pretty good ones:

These extend the function of the Google Cloud Print procedure from SamuelFL and first require the set up as he describes.
    These all require download and installation of the Cloud Printer app from the Mac App Store.
    http://www.webabode.com/software/cloudprint.html

Options:
    1. PDF service menu items (provides additional items in the native print dialogue's PDF service menu for printing to OneNote; doesn't work for sending documents that are already PDFs--see next option)
    2. File-->Print-esq method for sending documents from any application to OneNote (a File-->Save tweek via Hazel rule)
    3. Right-click finder item and select "Send to OneNote" (via Automator Service)

If you haven't already:
    Set up your Print to OneNote printer in Google Cloud Print from your Windows OS using Chrome as explained here by SamuelFL.
    Download and install Cloud Printer from the Mac App Store using the Print Plugin function in Automator and workflow files provided on the app website.

This simply gives you the ability to directly access any of your Google Cloud printers via the Cloud Printer app by: 1. choosing a file from within the app; 2. opening a file with the program, selecting your integrated Google Cloud Print to OneNote printer, and hitting Submit for Printing; or 3. using the PDF services menu via the Mac print dialogue to send documents to OneNote just like you would if you were printing to PDF for some other purpose.

This is great, but you can't print documents to PDF that are already PDFs, and that's my main desire for printing to OneNote. In order to avoid (well, automate) the steps needed to import these files into OneNote (i.e., save the PDF, open Cloud Printer, upload the file, Print to OneNote), I implemented a Hazel rule that makes the process similar to using a familiar print dialogue.

You will need Hazel installed (love you Hazel)
    http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

1. Create a folder, I call mine Print to OneNote
    2. Create a rule for your folder, I call mine Open in Cloud Printer

If all of the following conditions are met for the file or folder being matched
    Any File
    Do the following to the matched file or folder:
    Open with application Cloud Printer
    options, select bring to front

Now, when you want to print a file to OneNote, select Save instead (or Save As --> PDF from Acrobat), and save the file to your Print to OneNote folder. This will trigger the Cloud Printer app's print dialogue to pop up in front of your other windows where you can hit Submit Job to Printer. The Cloud Printer program automatically closes and your OneNote settings will dictate things from here--(for me, I get the OneNote window asking where I want the file).

I JUST made this and it seems to work well. It will open OneNote if it is closed, but it will not automatically focus to your OneNote window if it is open. With my Print to OneNote settings within OneNote, when I switch to the OneNote app, the dialogue is up and I select where to insert it. I don't know how it will behave with other settings or if you loaded it with more than one document at a time. I suspect they would just sit in the Cloud Printer queue until the others were processed.

To create a Service for right-click in finder, just open Automator, select Service, name it whatever, e.g., Send to OneNote.
    Set Service Receives files or folders in any application
    Add Action Open Finder Items
    Opens with: Cloud Printer

Save the Service and that's it.

6. thehodsons

thehodsons Bit poster

Fantastic solution

Thank you both! This works well and Hazel is amazing.