Printer Dialog locks-up

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Oct 26, 2015.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Kindly share the screenshot along with the following details:
    - Is this a Wireless or Wired printer?
    - What was the last changes you made after which the printer started having this issue.

Also, try http://kb.parallels.com/111997 as it has the basic steps to share the Printer between Mac and virtual machine.

3. TimothyR1

TimothyR1 Bit poster

I can confirm this issue exists, but I can also confirm your fix. See the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 8.16.38 AM.png
    Now for the explanation.
    The Windows print dialog isn't what is locking up. The Mac print dialog that, by default, appears after Windows converts the postscript document and transfers it to the OS X print spooler. This is entirely due to El Capitan's System Integrity feature that was added. Disabling the secondary print dialog will force your document to jump straight from the VM to the printer. The only downside is you don't get a true print preview of how OS X is going to handle the print job, but I think that is a moot issue.

The big printer issue with Parallels is that by cloning the default system printer, it uses a generic Laserjet driver to perform the print functions. I have a printer that is capable of double sided printing and like 15 different quality modes, but Parallels offers none of those options. I have to either accept the default single sided printing at normal speed, or bounce the file out to PDF and open it back in OS X to use the real print dialog. Not really a gigantic issue at this point....if I need to customize how my print is going to appear, I'll just finish the print settings inside the host OS.

4. KennethF

KennethF Member

This is a problem for me as well. Using Parallels 11, Coherence, Windows 10 and El Capitain. What happens when I print a document it goes through the windows print processing, then starts to load the Mac print dialog. The Parallels doc icon starts to jump, but when I click on it, the VM won't accept any keyboard or mouse input, and Parallels stops responding; you can see that in the Mac force quit list. I can still hide the windows apps through the Mac menu bar, but even when I hide them all the OS X print dialog is nowhere to be seen, and my VM is locked. There is nothing in the print queue for that printer.

When I force Parallels to quit and reopen it, it acts as if it had been suspended; all my apps open where they were and the document starts to print without any further action on my part.

I know I can disable the page setup dialog box, but I have a duplex printer and need to be able to select single or 2-sided printing. Sometimes if the app doesn't cover up the whole screen the OS X setup dialog appears, but I'm working on a 12" MacBook and I often run apps full screen.

So after I wrote the first part of this message, I did some more experimenting. This is definitely an issue with coherence and full screen--because, as explained below, neither of those views have a top bar, the print dialog box never appears. It hangs the VM every time in coherence and full screen, and even if I exit those view modes after I've initiated printing, the vm remains hung.

If I print from a view where Windows has a top bar, the OS X dialog box appears at the very top of the VM window, looking as if he top of the dialog box is attached to the bottom border of the Windows 10 top bar. Even i I resize the Windows 10 container, the OS X dialog stays put; I can't move it by itself. I can use the dialog, make choices, and print the document, but even when it is displayed, if I go into coherence or full screen, it disappears and I'm hung.

Here;s what's going on, That dialog and (any other associated dialogs opened from it) has no top bar, and when they open, it's as if they slide down from the Windows 10 top bar, and are attached to it. These are Mac dialogs, and while they are open, the VM is temporarily suspended until you either press Print or Cancel to dismiss that dialog. When I print from the Mac OS, these dialogs all have their own top bars and can be moved around. Neither coherence nor full screen have any top windows 10 bar, and consequently there's no place for them to appear. They are obviously trying to open, but aren't visible. The VM is suspended waiting for them to close, however. Because the dialog is not visible, there's no way to interact with it, and the VM just stays hung.

This is a bug obviously, and it is a really serious one; I can't kill the VM every time I print a document, and I can't disable the setup dialog because I need to set duplex, etc.. Please address this asap.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  5. KennethF

KennethF Member

I guess I don't understand what you are saying. Suppose I want to print a word doc from within my VM. I have the OS X print setup turned off. I tell Word to print the document, How would I finish the print settings inside OS X?

6. SureshG1

SureshG1 Bit poster

I am having this same problem where the Mac Print Dialog goes behind the Windows dialogs and hangs Parallels. I understand the fact that Parallels is waiting for the Mac Print Dialog to be completed, but there is no reason that all of the Parallels applications should hang waiting for this response. In fact, there should be no reason that Parallels should hang waiting for any Mac response. I see that this post is almost 1.5 years old. What fix has been issued to correct this problem?

7. DanielleC1

DanielleC1 Bit poster

I am also having this problem. Commenting to hopefully bring additional attention to this problem.

8. MichaelD29

MichaelD29 Bit poster

Is there any fix for this? The print dialog goes to the back when in coherence mode, this happens often. The work around is for me to exit coherence mode and the print dialog shows up. When it is in Coherence mode there is no way to get to the print dialog. This happens about 20% of the time I print

Mac 10.13.3
    Parallels 13.3