Printer stopped working after Parallels 12 upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DavidB26, Sep 19, 2016.

1. DavidB26

DavidB26 Bit poster

I used to print to my mac printer when using parallels 10 and 11. After the recent upgrade to Parallels 12, it stopped working. I use windows7 on OSX 10.11.4 El Capitan.
    I already tried to add the network printer in windows 7 again (kyocera Ecosys M6026cdn), but to no avail.
    printing from osx is no problem at all.

Since P12 i can see a popup window for a few seconds with something about "postscript conversion" which was not visible in parallels 11. The Error message in german is as follows:

"Das Dokument konnte nicht gedruckt werden.
    Es ist ein interner Fehler aufgetreten und Parallels Desktop konnte dieses Dokument nicht drucken."

this translates roughly to english:
    " The Document could not be printed.
    An internal Error happened and Parallels Desktop could not print this document."

So far for sensible error messages :rolleyes:

What to do?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    WyconM likes this.
  2. SupportT1

SupportT1 Bit poster

Was running Parallels 8, finally upgraded to El Capitan and Parallels 8 is not compatible with it for USB (clever move, guys). Downloaded Parallels 12 trial and when we launch the one piece of legacy Win95 software we bought Parallels for, none of our printers are available. They are there according to Windows and I am not about to screw around reinstalling Windows or drivers etc. that ARE ALL THERE AND WERE SET UP CORRECTLY. Great, just awesome, deprecate the old software and the new one screws you. Seriously?

What are we supposed to do now? There is apparently no way to contact Parallels support directly to figure out the issue without PURCHASING a product we can not even be certain WORKS. WTF. The new purchase paradigm (continuous subscription for a piece of software we use maybe once a month - I think not, or the one time purchase with NO upgrade ever) is so miserly, stingy and user-unfriendly, and shunting long time users in a situation like this into a "forum" where people have to try and find their own answers is pure BS.

I hope someone has an easy answer, but having wasted 2 hours so far trying to make this work again, my next step is to download a copy of VMWare which has a far more generous purchase/upgrade policy.

WyconM likes this.
  3. SupportT1

SupportT1 Bit poster

Downloaded VMWare which easily imported our Parallels virtual machine. Had the exact same printing issue, however. Discovered that opening existing files was the issue. Once I created a new document in this particular application, all printers could be seen within it. Closed that and opened existing files and now printing is enabled for them all.
    So now we have trial versions of both VMWare Fusion and Parallels installed. As we only need to run one legacy Windows app, the deciding factor in our ultimate decision will not be features but support/pricing. Had we bought VMWare Fusion instead of Parallels, we would have still been eligible for a discount on the upgrade. VMWare's trial period is 30 days unlike 14 days for Parallels. Have to look further into the length of support, though.

4. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello David,
    This issue has been fixed in the latest build of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build and check how it goes!

5. DavidB26

DavidB26 Bit poster

I can confirm the fix worked!

i would not mind better integration testing, before you ship a major new version. printing is not just some edge case, it is a daily task of any user. This should have been tested before Parallels 12 got released.

Also these undescriptive error messages are very bad. I thought this lazy programming attitude to skip over the creation of meaningful error messages has died out after the nineties, but somehow it survived here...

WyconM likes this.
  6. MichaelK9

MichaelK9 Bit poster

Error is back with latest Version of macOS Sierra public beta 1! Can you pls look into that urgently - thanks!

7. WyconM

WyconM Bit poster

Hello Dinesh,
    I experience the very same problem as David, but even with the latest version of Parallels Desktop 12 (built 12.0.2 (41353)) it does not fix this printer problem. My environment is KB Parallels 12 / OS Sierra / Windows 7. I also sent an e-mail support request to Parallels support centre, but no info yet. I would not recommend any user to upgrade at the moment from Parallels 10 to Parallels 12 as this bug is too much of a problem to work with a system in daily life !! Do you know by when the issue is fixed ?

8. SteffenB1

SteffenB1 Bit poster

Hello,
    unluckily I do have the same problem on my notebook and I do need the printing possibility urgently. My enviroment is KB Parallels 12 / OS Sierra / Windows 7.
    Please help!!! Thanks!
    BR
    Steffen

9. MartinE2

MartinE2 Bit poster

Hi all,
    Same error message:
    "Das Dokument konnte nicht gedruckt werden.
    Es ist ein interner Fehler aufgetreten und Parallels Desktop konnte dieses Dokument nicht drucken."
    Last built from Parallels 12 installed, still same error.
    Environment: Parallels 12, OS Sierra, Windows 10
    Printing in Mac OS is working, can print whatever I want. But under Windows no way to get an document printed from MS Outlook, Word, Excel or PowerPoint. Surprisingly it is working to print from Google Chrome. Don't understand why ...

Urgent help needed!

10. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @MartinE2
    We have reported this issue to our development team and it will be fixed shortly! As a workaround, please open virtual machine Configuration > Hardware Tab > Shared Printer > Uncheck "Show Page Setup before Printing".

11. MichaelK9

MichaelK9 Bit poster

I have installed public beta 4 of macOS Sierra and the printer works fine again (including the Page setup before printing) - strange...

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi MichaelK9,
    Glad to hear that and thanks for sharing this information.

13. MartinE2

MartinE2 Bit poster

perfetto - easy solution, it did it as proposed: Uncheck "Show Page Setup before Printing".
    it´s working - thx

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi MartinE2,
    Glad to hear that ! Feel free to reach us anytime.

15. MarcelJ1

MarcelJ1 Bit poster

I had the same problem!
    After I unchecked the to show the page before printing and it starts to work.
    Is this the solution to use a printer on both systems???
    Parallels is working for a new update, now?

16. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

That's correct! You can use a printer on both Mac and the virtual machine with unchecking "show the page setup before printing"

17. dife

dife Junior Member

By unchecking "Show page setup .." in Parallel 13.3.0
    it prints, but nothing appears, empty file is created when I chose print to pdf.

18. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello dife, Let us ensure that Parallels Tools are properly installed. Please follow this link to install Parallels Tools. If you see reinstall or update Parallels Tools then kindly reinstall it.