prl_disp_service drained my MBP power

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DesmondW, Apr 17, 2017.

1. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

I found my MBP drained very quickly when using parallels and window 8.1, prl_display_service can go up to over 200 when start up and normally running at every 120. Tried to quit and restart several times, tried all setting to lower the VM performance to prolong the battery, not working.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DesmondW, please follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue:
    1.Quit from Parallels Desktop
    2. Open Terminal.app and

execute these commands:

cd /Users/username/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

tar czf ~/Desktop/MobileDevice.tgz MobileDevice

mv MobileDevice MobileDevice.old

where username is the name of your Mac user.

3. Open Parallels Desktop and check the issue.

3. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

Doesn't work, it come back the the directory does not exist. Captured the terminal window for your info.

Attached Files:

4. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Please try the steps as suggested in the article and let us know how it goes.

5. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

Tried, the bare VM looks right in CPU usage, but when I moved the original hdd there, the CPU and power consumption still very high. I tried to create a new VM, but not successful.It stopped and shown Boot Failed. EFI hard drive, it seems the parallels cannot connect to DVD drive to boot in VM. I checked the original VM can see the DVD, but in installation it doesn't. I upgraded from previous version, so my VM is installed in previous version. Never used 12 to install before.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, switching between integrated and discrete video cards will resolve the issue.
    To switch between the adapters, go to virtual machine configuration window -> Options -> Optimization - Power
    * For integrated graphics (CPU) set 'Longer battery life'
    * For discrete video card set 'Better performance'
    You can also choose "No limit" for Resource usage.

7. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

Tried again, no difference.

Can you help me about the reinstallation?

8. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

No one is gong to help?

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Sure, you may shut down the virtual machine and uninstall it from an Application folder, download the latest build of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac from this link and install it on your Mac as suggested in this article.

10. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

I can reinstall the parallels desktop, the problem is I can't compete the installation of window in the new VM. I want to install the window again in a new VM, as I believe the power drain problem is about the window.

Definitely need some help!!!

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @DesmondW are you getting any error message while installing Windows virtual machine in Parallels Desktop? Please share the screenshot of the error message and we can help!

12. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

Tried many time, the installation of window didn't start, parallels halted, screen cap as below.

Attached Files:

13. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

Anyone can Help? All I want is to create a new VM and install a brand new win 8.1!

14. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

Disappointed!!

Parallels support, Please offer some response, i have a feeling I'm using a freeware but I'm not.
    More than 2weeks i see nothing. All I was trying to do is to create a new VM and install win 8.1 from zero. How difficult it will be to Parallels?
    Extremely disappointed!!!!!!!!!!ยก!!!!!!!!!!

15. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please mention the Windows installation media that you're using to try and reinstall Windows.

16. DesmondW

DesmondW Junior Member

I tried to install from DVD

17. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please stop the installation completely and remove the DVD from the Mac. Then, download a Windows 8.1 disk image file from https://goo.gl/4PqKRX and install Windows with it. During the course of the installation, disable 'Express Installation'. Later, you will get a screen with the option 'Customize settings before installation'. Select it and click on 'Continue'. In the virtual machine configuration window that appears: A.) Navigate to Hardware --> CPU & Memory and ensure that the number of processors is 2 (or 1 if total number of processors is < 4) and RAM is at least 2 GB (or 3 GB if total Mac RAM is 8 GB, or 4 GB if total Mac RAM is > 8 GB). (NOTE: If total Mac RAM is only 4 GB, then allocate 1.5 GB RAM for Windows.) B.) Navigate to Hardware --> Video (or Graphics) and ensure that video memory is 512 MB. Then, close the virtual machine configuration window and proceed with the installation. After the installation completes, install Parallels Tools.