PRL_ERR_VM_TOOLS_CANT_UPDATE_WITHOUT_RESTART

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PeterS3, Nov 21, 2018.

1. PeterS3

PeterS3 Junior Member

Hi @AlL,

unfortunately I am suffering from that message appears two times starting my Windows10 (from BootCamp partition).
    Today I upgraded from PD13 to PD14 without any luck getting lost that error message.

Someone else who is nerved from this issue ?

Would be great to hear if there is any solution :)

btw: deinstalling / reinstalling tools, disabling any firewall etc doesn't help. o_O

Cheers
    p.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Best Answer
    We suggest you follow these steps with utmost caution. Shutdown Windows before following these steps.
    1. Start the virtual machine creation as mentioned in https://kb.parallels.com/4729 but when you are on the screen to select the ISO and continue to select "Locate Manually" then select "Continue without a source" then proceed to select Operating System.
    2. Choose the profile for your virtual machine.
    3. Give a name for the virtual machine and create. You will get a no boot screen.
    4. Use Actions (on Mac menu bar) > Stop.
    5. Open VM configuration of the original VM > Hardware > Network > Advanced Settings and make note of the MAC address.
    6. Open VM configuration of the New VM > Hardware > Network > Advanced Settings and edit the MAC address similar to original VM.
    7. Locate the PVM bundle of the original VM, right click and select "Show Package Contents" then copy the HDD file to the new PVM bundle. You can delete the new HDD inside the new PVM bundle.
    8. Open VM configuration of the new VM > Hardware > Hard disk and map HDD file from the New PVM bundle.
    9. Launch the VM.
    If you have any questions, let us know for further assistance.

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @PeterS3 , please let us the version of mac OS you are having.

4. PeterS3

PeterS3 Junior Member

Hi ,

running latest Mojave 10.14.1 actually, but it bugs me since HighSierra and running PD13.
    I found that issue as unresolved here in the forums in between. Strange ..
    --
    Regards,
    Peter

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Best Answer
    We suggest you follow these steps with utmost caution. Shutdown Windows before following these steps.
    1. Start the virtual machine creation as mentioned in https://kb.parallels.com/4729 but when you are on the screen to select the ISO and continue to select "Locate Manually" then select "Continue without a source" then proceed to select Operating System.
    2. Choose the profile for your virtual machine.
    3. Give a name for the virtual machine and create. You will get a no boot screen.
    4. Use Actions (on Mac menu bar) > Stop.
    5. Open VM configuration of the original VM > Hardware > Network > Advanced Settings and make note of the MAC address.
    6. Open VM configuration of the New VM > Hardware > Network > Advanced Settings and edit the MAC address similar to original VM.
    7. Locate the PVM bundle of the original VM, right click and select "Show Package Contents" then copy the HDD file to the new PVM bundle. You can delete the new HDD inside the new PVM bundle.
    8. Open VM configuration of the new VM > Hardware > Hard disk and map HDD file from the New PVM bundle.
    9. Launch the VM.
    If you have any questions, let us know for further assistance.

6. PeterS3

PeterS3 Junior Member

Hi,
    100% fixed the issue. Thank you very much for the helpdesk :):)
    Should be pinned somewhere here for others having the same problem.

Regards,
    Peter