prl_naptd Appears to be a Band Width Hog

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MitchBVI, Apr 21, 2015.

1. MitchBVI

MitchBVI Bit poster

Traveling in the UK at present and signed up for sort term Internet access 6Gb for 30 days thought that would be plenty. After 4 days I checked and was surprised to see that I was down to 1.3GB so had used 4.7GB no movies one face time call and little other than emails.

Switched off everything turned on Activity monitor and the biggest user so far seems to be prl_naptd which I understand is part of parallels. Have been working on a couple of Windows programs and left parallels up.

Does anyone know if this is a problem or have I just caught it at the wrong time? At the time of writing, Windows Dock Helper and Windows Coherence helper were also big users.

any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

2. Padman

Padman Member

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, in addition to the Padman's post, I want to clarify the purpose of the prl_naptd:
    this process serves as router for Parallels Virtual machines. It doesn't have any own network activity, it only proxies requests from VMs in SharedNetworking mode. So, it is realy looks like some Windows Update or thirdparty application.