Problem installing Windows 10 on Parallels on M1 iMac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PS3, Aug 27, 2021.

1. PS3

PS3 Bit poster

Hi there,
    I just purchased Parallels so I could specifically use Windows 10 on my new M1 iMac 2021, but the simple instructions of the brief OS installation video on the Parallels page are not working for me.

First, I signed up as a Microsoft Insider so I could get the ARM Windows 10 build. I then downloaded the file "Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_21354.VHDX" (9.75GB) and put it on my desktop. Everything seemed to be working fine up to this point.

However, when I run the Parallels Installation Assistant, it cannot automatically find the VHDX file, even if it is sitting on my desktop (I tried putting it elsewhere, but it still cannot auto-find it). When I select it manually, it gives me the following warning "Unable to detect operating system". I go ahead and click "Continue" to proceed anyway and then it asks me a couple of questions as to what OS it is installing (Windows 10), what I will be using it for, and where to put it, and when I click on "Create" it gives me the error "Operation failed. Failed to execute the operation." Clicking on "Help me solve the problem" does not help me resolve the problem, it just takes me to a generic help page with no information on this.

This is as far as I can get with the installation and I have to restart the Installation Assistant at this point. I am not sure what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to install Windows 10. The instructions are very simple, and I was able to install Ubuntu fine as a test. But the installation of Windows 10 does not work.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

RuthM4 likes this.
  2. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We've just sent you a private message, please check. Thanks.

3. MikelS1

MikelS1 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. Is there any solution for this? Thanks in advance!

4. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, please follow the steps given below to check on the issue:
    Right-click on the "Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_xxxxxx.VHDX" file > Open with > Parallels Desktop (defsult). Thanks.

5. MikelS1

MikelS1 Bit poster

Worked. Thanks!

6. EmaP

EmaP Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem, and the right-click solution doesn't change anything for me
    Is there something else I can do ?
    Thanks a lot !

7. EmaP

EmaP Bit poster

Works after restarting my computer after all, thanks !

8. Pablo Sebastián

Pablo Sebastián Bit poster

Hi There.
    Im looking to download the same VHDX file but cannot find it. Do you have a link please?

Thanks.

9. ChrisK20

ChrisK20 Bit poster

Same issue as mentioned above. Reboot doesn't seem to help - any recommendations?
    Thanks !

10. C__5

C__5 Bit poster

same issue here, right click, reboot, not working.

11. TimB8

TimB8 Bit poster

same issue here ... new M1 mac air, parallels from app store, installing fails at first step, immediately after selecting the appropriate vhdx file (which paralells disn't recognise as win 11) ... "operation failed ... failed to execute the operation"

12. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please help us with the screenshot of the error page to assist you further.

13. TimB8

TimB8 Bit poster

14. TimB8

TimB8 Bit poster

... this is immediately after selecting the win11 image, identifying it as win11, and pressing the create button (to install Windows 11 in users/tbw on a new M1 - MacAir

15. MarcS20

MarcS20 Bit poster

Hi, I have the same issue in a iMac M1 16gb . I have reboot the iMac, right button, etc nothing is working.

16. RanC1

RanC1 Bit poster

Hello,
    I also have the same issue exactly: "Failed to execute the operation".
    Macbook M1 pro 16gb ram.
    Please solve this issue. I've tried everything.