Problem with Launching Games with Parallels in M1 Max Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ShawnS6, Dec 22, 2021.

1. ShawnS6

ShawnS6 Bit poster

Here is a summary of my set up and issues:
    • I have a 16" M1 Max with 32GB memory
    • Running macOS Monterey 12.0.1
    • I have Parallels Desktop 17
    • Running Windows 11 in VM in PD
    • I have steam installed and I have issues running several games... Including the games that are known to be running just fine with Parallels such as Black Ops 3 and GTA 5
    Here is what I have done:
    • Disabled Firewall & AntiVirus
    • Reinstalled Parallels, Windows, Steam, and all the games from scratch
    • I have used the common codes such as -dx11 to force DirectX11 for the games
    • I have set the exe files to run as Admin
    • I have reverified the game files through steam
    • I have verified the correct display drivers are installed
    • NOTHING WORKS
    Here is what happens:
    When I launch GTV5 or BO3, looks like the games wants to do some sort of initial set up and it says installing 1 of 3, but then the window disappears and nothing happens after that. Only one game gets to a game menu (The Last Stand: Aftermath), but when I start the game I am presented a blank black screen. I have opened up a ticket with Parallels but no luck as of now. Any ideas?

EfrainH likes this.
  2. ShawnS6

ShawnS6 Bit poster

I just got another game to test (Back4Blood) and when I tried to run that I got an error for:

MS Visual C++ 2015 Runtime
    DirectX Runtime

I tried installing the C++ Runtime and that error went away, but no luck after trying to install DirectX 11, but that error doesn't go away. I think the root of the problem has to do with the DirectX... at least my small brain is telling me that.

Then I got the Resident Evil VIII and the same thing happens. the small window pops open to install x of y but then goes away and nothing happens.

EfrainH likes this.
  3. EfrainH

EfrainH Bit poster

Hello there!
    I've run into a similar situation and have yet to find a solution. Have you found one?
    Black Ops 3 does not launch on Windows 11. I also have an Apple Silicon M1 processor running Monterey.

4. DanielD37

DanielD37 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issues. Very frustrating. Hope we can find a solution

Daniel

5. JonathanA10

JonathanA10 Junior Member

I'm having a similar issue with Total War Warhammer 3. It was running fine until I installed the most recent 2.1 patch. Now the app game app will start, but the task is killed after about 15 seconds. I tried all of the same fixes you have, but the behavior is the same. I'm quickly becoming convinced its a Direct X thing. What I don't get is why it worked just fine until the most recent patch. I can't imagine that changed the Direct X requirements.

6. JonathanA10

I'm hoping Metal 3 in Ventura will allow for compatibility with DirectX 12. *fingers crossed*

7. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Still keeping fingers (and toes) crossed that someone figures a way to play Diablo II Resurrected. (But losing hope.)

8. JonathanA10

I tried with Crossover. It would launch, but then crashed before loading the first opening scene video. So that's a no dice as well. I hope the devs have an advanced copy of Metal3