Problems Building a WinNT installation

Mick536

Junior Member
Hi All -

I'm building a WindowsNT Workstation 4.0 VM. The video driver from prl-tools-other.iso works fine.

The installation of the LAN driver fails, as in an alert comes up: "Installation failed."

The Windows98 installation ran, but doesn't work. There also is no NT audio driver in prl-tools-other.

How can I get to my shared drives, with sound? ;-)

I'd forgotten how snappy WinNT is.

Thanks
Mick
 
Answering part of my own question: This is how to get to the LAN. Everything happens in the Control Panel.
In Devices:
Set NetDetect to Automatic

In Services:
Set Network DDE to Automatic
Set Network DDE DSDM to Automatic

In Network:
In Protocol add Simple TCP/IP. You'll need the WinNT CD-ROM
In Adaptors use Update and prl-tools-other.iso to load the WinNT driver. Look for (2) RealTek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC as success. In properties, select Full Duplex.
In Properties select DHCP and in Routing, Enable IP Forwarding.

I don't _know_ that all those steps are required, but those got me there. Still looking for how to get shared folders to show. Right now, everything is placed inside via the Parallels mounter. It's a kick looking at IE 2.0! (but its not really getting me anywhere.)

I'll post again when I get sound or the folders.

...Mick
 
Solved the sound problem. Get the Windows NT Realtek driver here:

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

It crashed NT the first startup afterwards for me, but after that, all seems working well.

I don't know enough about networked drives. Can anyone advise what services are involved? Or what to Google? Using "networked drives" returns a lot of sites that tell me how to map a drive. That much I know.

...Mick
 
Back
Top