Problems Installing Parallel on Mac Pro (cant find win32.sys)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by XuJ, May 25, 2015.

1. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

I restored my mac book pro and realised parallel is not working.
    I logged on to my account and downloaded the Parallel 9, opened it and while trying to install, i was asked to choose between Win XP QUT ver.iso and WinXP.iso.
    i chose WinXP.iso. then halfway through setup, the error returned was that wizard cant find win32.sys. i tried repeating with WinXP QUT version and the same thing happened I am at my wits end!
    i already battling this for more than an hour... no help online seems to help....
    appreciate any kind advice and solutions!

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Xuj,
    Could you please try to install Windows XP from a DVD and check how it works. There might be some corrupted files with the .iso file which you are trying to install.

3. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

I think i have Parallel 7 in a disc and I upgraded to Parallel 9 using the disk image previously.
    I suppose the version does not matter?
    Do i need to completely uninstall parallel 9 first? I am really not sure... sorry...

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Xuj,
    I see that you are using Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac from our records. Since you have already installed Parallels Desktop, you do not have to repeat again. You can go ahead and install Windows, refer http://kb.parallels.com/4729 to install Windows from a DVD

5. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

thanks lots Dhruba! I tried installing windows 4 times from DVD but Parallel Wizard does not read my DVD. DVD is definitely authentic.. how can you advise? thanks!!

6. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

7. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

all the time, it kept on telling me that "There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine. Please insert an operating system installation CD into the optical drive of your Mac and restart the virtual machine." and I have tried changing the configuration and these steps were done:
    1. In virtual machine Configuration go to Hardware > CD/DVD 1.
    2. Make sure that Connected box is checked.
    3. Specify the disk/image location in Connect to: box.
    tried again but it still does not work... haiz... appreciate your help... thanks!

8. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

Hi Ram, I did exactly what you suggested, iso image then install it (in fact i did it twice) but the error msg came back the same for DVD and ISO image that there is no operating system installed in this virtual machine...

I am really really tired of this whole process of dealing with windows and parallels 9. why is installing win 7 so hard on parallel when win 7 would have been perfectly installed in non-mac devices 3 hours again (yes, that's how long I am on this!!).

Is there a sure way to get this done?

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  9. XuJ

XuJ Bit poster

Also, I already tried restoring window pvm file via time machine but it did not work... haiz...

10. @XuJ please try unticking the"express installation" option during the Windows installation process and in new appeared Configuration window connect the iso image or your CD in CD/DVD tab.