Problems with Parallels 8 and Multiple displays

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GreenAsJade, Jul 31, 2013.

1. GreenAsJade

GreenAsJade Bit poster

I apologize in advance that this problem is easy to see but a little hard to describe.

When I'm using Parallels on my Mac laptop, I run each VM in full screen mode, and I can switch between my Mac desktop and the VMs by three finger swipe left or right, swapping desktops.

When I plug this laptop into my second desktop display, this display sits physically above the laptop, on my desk, and the "Display Arrangement" on the Mac is configured accordingly: I move my mouse "up" off the top of the laptop screen to get to the external display screen. The external screen is configured as my "Primary" Mac screen, with the menubar on the left of the screen.

Normally, when I start up a Parallels VM in this situation, it starts up Full Screen in a second Mac desktop. My Mac primary desktop remains on the external monitor, and the VM is to the "right" of it, one three fingered swipe away. When I'm looking at the Mac desktop it extends down onto the laptop from the external display. When I swipe right, I get to the VM on the external display, and a grey screen on the laptop. This is all good.

However, since I installed Parallels 8, this doesn't work predictably any more. One of my VMs behaves in this way, but another "takes over" the Mac desktop in Full Screen mode - as if it is "over the top" of the Mac Desktop. The extension of the Mac desktop remains on the laptop screen, with this VM on the external display above it. The Mac menubar is no longer accessible from this desktop.

That's all wrong :)

How can I configure this so it doesn't behave like that?

Thanks!