Problems with Windows 10 Guest OS after installing Mac OS Mojave

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PeterL3, Sep 27, 2018.

1. PeterL3

PeterL3 Bit poster

I installed Mojave and performance of Windows 10 Excel 2016 has slowed to a crawl. No other changes have been made.
    I am running a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7) with 16 GB Memory and 500 GB SSD. I'm using Parallels Desktop 14 Pro. Prior to installing Mojave I had no problem running LARGE excel files while simultaneously using PowerBi. AFTER installing Mojave I can barely use Excel - scrolling is extremely delayed. Adjusting column width might take 3 seconds before the intended action actually happens. Is anybody else experiencing similar problems?? Parallels Support -- can you comment or help?

StanislavsS likes this.
  2. MrT3

MrT3 Bit poster

Yep I'm having similar problems. Definitely Mojave related, as it only happened once I upgraded.
    Its hard to track it down to any particular program, but it Windows just hangs in general use. I found it happens in particular after unlocking the machine. If I have left something like Firefox and some other windows open, when I unlocked my machine these applications would stop responding.
    Running the latest Parallels in full screen (scaled display mode), with Windows 10 guest OS.

3. wdvs

wdvs Bit poster

Same here. Found this post googling the abysmal Excel 2016 performance in Win 7 Parallels VM with Mojave. Even simple spreadsheets are sluggish and cause the CPU to spike.

4. ChristianP10

ChristianP10 Bit poster

Same here RE Excel running via Office 365 in Parallels latest on Mojave. Excel (and other Office apps) are now completely unusable since the Parallels | Mojave upgrade. Just clicking File | Open in Excel takes several seconds. Spinning wheel almost constantly. This is the only reason I have Parallels so I can access the Power Query tools in Excel on Windows. Prior to this upgrade, Excel worked perfectly even on large datasets. This is completely unusable.
    I'm running a Late 2013 MBPr | 16GB RAM | 1 TB SSD. The machine is more than capable of running the VM. Prior to this upgrade even under full load with 6GB allocated to the image I barely cracked 12GB RAM total system usage in Activity Monitor with CPU usage firmly in the green.

5. Martin9

Martin9 Member

I faced problems with mouse scrolling in Excel and Word 2016 (WIN10) with Parallels 14 (Mojave). It was jumpy and delayed. Deactivating "smooth scrolling" in the extended settings of mouse and keyboard configuration (hardware) of Parallels, which I activated some days before with no reason, did not lead to immediate success. However, after I freed up disk space of my WIN10 VM (Parallels general configuration) scrolling is fine again...

6. Hi PeterL3. Please start the virtual machine. Select Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Reinstall Parallels Tools and make sure that the tools are installed successfully. Then restart the virtual machine and check if it works fine.

7. Hi Martin9. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue and thanks for sharing the steps that resolved it. Please post again for any additional queries.

8. StanislavsS

StanislavsS Bit poster

I am having similar issues after upgrading to Mojave. Excel cell navigation, text typing in Word/Outlook often occurs with delays, making the system unusable. I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools, downgrading to Parallels 13, adjusting hypervisor settings (Apple vs. Parallels, Adaptive Hypervisor) and nothing was effective. I've been fighting the issue for a couple of weeks now.

Maybe this will help: If I "suspend" the VM and resume it, that seems to solve the problem for a little while, but then the issue gradually returns.

It also seems like the host machine is having plenty of CPU and other resources, it just does not let Parallels use them to full extent. I believe Apple may have changed something to resource allocation, e.g. included limits on app CPU usage, which may have been overseen by the Parallels team.

Do others experience similar issues? Thanks!

@Parallels Team: can you please prioritize this issue somehow - this becoming a big deal breaker now - and i have been using Parallels for 7-8 years now. I am happy to support, provide logs, etc. Please feel free to contact. Thank you.

9. Hi StanislavsS. If you have any antivirus/firewall protection enabled on the Mac, please disable and check for the performance.

10. MennoE

MennoE Bit poster

Same problem here. Excel cell navigation is really slow on Windows 10 virtual machine.
    MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
    Parallels 14.0.1

Tried the next options, all seemed to work temporary, but unfortunately Windows 10 / Excel performance is degrading again after a while in all cases.
    - Deactivated "smooth scrolling"
    - Reclaimed diskspace for the Windows 10 virtual machine
    - Rebooted Mac into Recovery mode, ran First Aid

None of these solutions was sustainable so far.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MennoE, please reproduce the issue and reply us with a Technical Data ID collected from the terminal command: prlsrvctl problem-report --send

12. OlafK3

OlafK3 Bit poster

We have the same problem, especially with office products (excel, outlook). It gets worth after time. Restarting the Mac or sometimes restarting the VM helps.

Win 10
    MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
    Parallels 14.0.1

We already cleared the complete hard disc (SSD) and reinstalled Mojave. Problem still exists.
    We also experience a much slower copy & paste performance for files and folders.
    Is there any solution available?

13. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Try updating Parallels Desktop to the latest build 14.1.0 and check.

14. OlafK3

OlafK3 Bit poster

Sorry, this was my mistake: 14.1.0 is installed.

15. Jake5

Jake5 Bit poster

Just to add, since updating to Mojave, my Outlook is almost unusable. It goes to 'no responding' every time i click a different email message for 5 to 10 seconds. Again, never had any problems before this update. Could parallels team confirm they are looking into this please?

16. Jake5

Jake5 Bit poster

I thought this was perhaps to do with phasing out of 32bit with Mojave so I reinstalled all office apps in 64 bit. This seemed to improve performance until I restarted the virtual machine and then it was back to crawling again!