Hello,
today I've updated my parallels installation to the latest beta-build.
When I started the application, it asked me whether to enable the new profile sharing feature. Knowing that I have a lot of data with absolute paths in it in my original documents folder and a lot of important data on my desktop, I decided to turn the feature off and manually move stuff around before turning it on.
So I've unchecked all three checkboxes.
Then I booted Windows (as always parallels bailed out with the error of not being able to allocate virtual memory - this is fixed by uninstalling and then reinstalling parallels). Vista's nice AutoRun dialog popped up and asked me if I wanted to run pstart.exe. So parallels automatically detected that the tools were out of date. nice.
After the installation completed and the VM rebooted and I looged in, a message popped up notifying me that the shared profile feature made changes to my system and that I had to relog.
Done that.
The feature was obviously enabled now. My desktop and documents folders both were missing files.
So after paniking for a short while, I've stopped the VM, entered the configuration screen and found all options for shared profile enabled (*sigh*).
Thankfully, turning that off and restarting did help, but it was scary.
Please... if you show us a dialog after installation (good), please do actually honor the decision we users make there
Philip
today I've updated my parallels installation to the latest beta-build.
When I started the application, it asked me whether to enable the new profile sharing feature. Knowing that I have a lot of data with absolute paths in it in my original documents folder and a lot of important data on my desktop, I decided to turn the feature off and manually move stuff around before turning it on.
So I've unchecked all three checkboxes.
Then I booted Windows (as always parallels bailed out with the error of not being able to allocate virtual memory - this is fixed by uninstalling and then reinstalling parallels). Vista's nice AutoRun dialog popped up and asked me if I wanted to run pstart.exe. So parallels automatically detected that the tools were out of date. nice.
After the installation completed and the VM rebooted and I looged in, a message popped up notifying me that the shared profile feature made changes to my system and that I had to relog.
Done that.
The feature was obviously enabled now. My desktop and documents folders both were missing files.
So after paniking for a short while, I've stopped the VM, entered the configuration screen and found all options for shared profile enabled (*sigh*).
Thankfully, turning that off and restarting did help, but it was scary.
Please... if you show us a dialog after installation (good), please do actually honor the decision we users make there
Philip