PTC creo with M1 chip

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Antonio10, Dec 31, 2020.

1. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

Creo on M1.png

KhalilB likes this.
  2. LutherB

LutherB Member

I guess that indicates that the issue with the newer versions is the x64 emulation on Windows 11. I know it's under development still so there's some reason to be optimistic that later versions of Creo will run at some point, but it would also be useful to understand why it's failing currently.

MatteoS likes this.
  3. MatteoS

MatteoS Bit poster

Me too with same issues with the latest Creo Version :( some update?

4. MichaelS156

MichaelS156 Bit poster

I can't get Creo 8 to install on Windows 10. I had Solidworks running, license ran out so tried to switch to Creo 8. On install I get Virtual C++ Redistributables unsuccessful installation.

5. MichaelS156

MichaelS156 Bit poster

"Visual C++ Redistributables"

6. LutherB

LutherB Member

You need to install the ARM version of C++ Redistributables first, then the x64 version before proceeding with the Creo install (download from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170). I have gotten everything to install fine, but the program will still not launch. It's possible that there's something incorrect happening with the installation of the C++ Redist., but I haven't been able to figure out what the issue is or what is missing. Please keep us posted if you figure anything else out.

7. MichaelS156

MichaelS156 Bit poster

I can confirm that Creo 3 32bit runs both windows 10, and 11 ARM builds. This was not the student version.
    Still trying to get Creo 8, but at this point unsuccessful

8. MirkoR1

MirkoR1 Bit poster

ATTENTION!!!!
    Creo Parametric, but in general I believe all CAD software of a certain level, does not work with ARM processors.
    unfortunately I just bought a new macbook pro, and there is no way to install Creo 8, 7, 6. PTC officially doesn't even support Windows 11, which is the only version currently available for ARM processors. Less than less it supports ARM architecture.
    Parallels support offloads the liability to software manufacturers. So before buying a new macbook thinking of using parallels to virtualize Windows, check the compatibility of the software you plan to use with arm processors.
    In a nutshell, the version of windows that parallels manages to emulate brings the mac back to the equivalent of a surface book ... that is completely useless

9. MilesL1

MilesL1 Bit poster

Any update on this? I'm really hoping this ends up being resolved. I've seen reports ANSYS and such can run pretty decently on M1 now.

10. jimcad

jimcad Bit poster

11. MilesL1

MilesL1 Bit poster

Awesome, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

12. MilesL1

MilesL1 Bit poster

13. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

The work around works, I can now start Creo 10!

New problem on both Creo 3 and Creo 10, after about 30 seconds, the view freezes (model cannot be moved anymore), seems like a video driver issue, anyone else has this issue?

14. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

Reinstalled windows, worked fine but then broke again when I updated the Parallel tools. :(

15. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

Alright, so I deleted everything, reinstalled a fresh version of Windows 11 ARM (build 22635) and then PT and then Creo, now it works again. I don't know what went wrong, perhaps is was the Windows 11 ARM build I was using (25967) that was causing the issue

16. PeterP52

PeterP52 Bit poster

Could somebody, who has Creo 10 running on Silicon (ideally M3 Pro with xx GB RAM) feedback how the performance is using using more complex assemblies with a couple hundred parts?
    cheers
    Peter

17. LutherB

LutherB Member

I have an M1 Max with 64GB of RAM, and I can open and work with large assemblies (heavily surfaced, lots of imported geometry) just fine on 10.0.2. The only drawback I've seen so far is just that moving the model around is a bit less smooth than it would be on a dedicated Windows machine with a certified graphics card - no issues in any other way that I've found yet. Hope that helps.