PTC Creo - Won't run

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by LutherB, Nov 20, 2021.

1. LutherB

LutherB Member

M1 Max 64Gb 4Gb HD, Windows 11 ARM Pro 22000.318, PTC Creo 7.0.2.0. When installed, Creo will not run - nothing happens. I'm not sure if this is a Windows 11 issue (missing .dll files that might be added in a future update), a Parallels issue (graphics possibly?), or a Creo issue (no support for Windows 11 ARM, but that's to be expected for 3D CAD).

Any advice would be appreciated. There was another post regarding PTC Creo in another thread, but I wanted to post under M1.

Jamil1 likes this.
  2. jimcad

jimcad Bit poster

Best Answer
    I found a workaround. The processor architecture needs to be changed in the startup script or .psf file.

- Open <Installation directory>\<datecode>\Parametric\bin\paramteric.psf
    - Add the following lines to the beginning of the file:
    ENV=PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
    ENV=PRO_MACHINE_TYPE=x86e_win64

I tested this with Oreo Parametric 7.0.11.0.

YaakovB1 and MarieW3 like this.
  3. Jamil1

Jamil1 Bit poster

Hi LutherB, I have the same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

4. LutherB

LutherB Member

I have not yet - I have a release VM and an insider VM - I was updating both regularly hoping that there would be a fix provided by Microsoft (Windows 11 ARM seems to bet the holdup). In the meantime, I starting running a cloud VM so that I would have access to the software I needed reliably, and that has worked out very well. I'd still like to get the Windows 11 ARM/CAD issues worked out. I am now running Creo 9.0, which is the first version to offer Windows 11 compatibility, so it might run - just need to try it. I'll try to do so and let you know...

5. Jamil1

Jamil1 Bit poster

I installed PTC 9.0 on Windows 11 ARM but it still does not run. I was able to get SolidWorks running without an issue. What cloud service are you using? I have access to Azure and Citrix so that may be a possible solution but still haven't tested it.

6. LutherB

LutherB Member

I'm running a VM from Vagon. It's an AWS instance, but easily configured for CAD. It's obviously more expensive than running a local VM, but it works well. Good to have as a backup as well...

Bummer 9.0 didn't work. Did you get everything to install? There were a few additional steps to get Visual Studio installed.

7. Jamil1

Jamil1 Bit poster

Everything installed fine except visual studio but even after getting installed PTC Creo didn't work. I'm asking on the PTC forums but it seems it's just not supported on ARM.

8. jimcad

jimcad Bit poster

Best Answer
    I found a workaround. The processor architecture needs to be changed in the startup script or .psf file.

- Open <Installation directory>\<datecode>\Parametric\bin\paramteric.psf

I tested this with Oreo Parametric 7.0.11.0.

YaakovB1 and MarieW3 like this.
  9. AndyN6

AndyN6 Bit poster

Can confirm, it works! Thanks Jim! You the best!

10. JorgenS

JorgenS Bit poster

I have the same problem, just with Creo 10.0.1.0. Anyone here have any knowledge?

11. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

IT WORKS ! just installed Creo 10! Finally modern UI ! (was using Creo 3 since the upgrade)

12. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

New problem on both Creo 3 and Creo 10, after about 30 seconds, the view freezes (model cannot be moved anymore), seems like a video driver issue, anyone else has this issue?

13. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

Solved, needed to reinstall windows, seems like it doesn't like too many PTC on the same machine !

14. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

Not solved: Reinstalled windows, worked fine but then broke again when I updated the Parallel tools. :(

15. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

Alright, so I deleted everything, reinstalled a fresh version of Windows 11 ARM (build 22635) and then PT and then Creo, now it works again. I don't know what went wrong, perhaps is was the Windows 11 ARM build I was using (25967) that was causing the issue

16. FlorianE4

FlorianE4 Junior Member

Hello, I have the same problem with the use of Creo (10.0) on a Mac M2 pro. I`ve downloaded it successfully but it won't open up. Where exact can I find this: Open <Installation directory>\<datecode>\Parametric\bin\paramteric.psf

and where do I need to enter these lines?

17. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

for me it's here
    C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 10.0.0.0\Parametric\bin

18. FlorianE4

FlorianE4 Junior Member

Thanks, but may it be possible to to show me, where to put the lines in? I do nos know where to do so. Sry

19. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

the post says Add the following lines to the beginning of the file:

20. FlorianE4

FlorianE4 Junior Member

Yes, I know, but I am not that much into using computers. where do I find the beginning of the file, should I rename it?

21. MrBen

MrBen Junior Member

you open in notepad and select the first line, press enter and the ctrl+v