Purchase Parallels 16.5 for M1 in June now a new version is out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AndyN4, Aug 10, 2021.

1. AndyN4

AndyN4 Bit poster

Hi,
    I just purchase Parallels 16.5 for M1 when it was available in June this year and I selected the perpetual license as I am not sure if I will be using it a lot. Now just barely 2 months a new version is available and I find that I am not even entitled to an upgrade. Felt a bit short-change as it looks like I was paying for a beta version. Not sure if Parallels will entertain a free update for me.
    Thanks.

william lucas and Aitor1 like this.
  2. BrunoG4

BrunoG4 Bit poster

Same here, bought my perpetual license June 23th and now there is a version 17. I think Parallels should qualify us late buyers the upgrade, or at least for a reasonable price (not the "upgrade discount" they offer).

william lucas and Aitor1 like this.
  3. Aitor1

Aitor1 Bit poster

Not only late buyers, I bought my license the day Parallels 16 came out, April 15 (less than 4 months ago), and still feel that parallels is kidding us way hard. I expect parallels to do something about this situation, at least from my side if this keeps as this, Parallels 16 it's going to be my first and last parallels product.

Thanks,

Aitor.

MattiS1 and forumpost21 like this.
  4. thinkingBanana

thinkingBanana Bit poster

On a similar boat here. I got it around April 14th, 2021, for their support on M1. I wasn't going to buy it until Parallel 17 otherwise.
    What's not good is that they ended the beta on April 14th, 2021, where there are clearly some issues to be sorted out, this includes driver issues and some stability issues, and 4 months later (or 2 months later for AndyN4 and BrunoG4) they just left Parallels 16 behind and added those to Parallels 17.
    What I will say is Parallels has been consistent with their product release date in the past few versions, so a new one coming out around August 12 is somewhat to be expected. But releasing a half-baked M1 version and charging users, promising to fix issues, add features, and ultimately put all those promises behind a paywall is very distasteful.
    Currently, they must be very busy handling Parallels 17 customer's issue and having less time to care about us who got Parallel 16 for M1. But I hope once the Parallels 17 storm calms down a little, they can realize this is a special case where they charge for a beta software (On M1) and screwed their customers. And Parallels will try to provide M1 customers with a free upgrade or a better upgrade pricing.

5. KevinS30

KevinS30 Bit poster

I´m dissapointed aswell, after such a short time there is a new version. There should be a discount or something.

MattiS1, william lucas and Aitor1 like this.
  6. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

I raised a ticket on this one as I also purchased 16 for M1 in April after participating in the beta

I was expecting better for something that was only available for 4 months

no response as of yet

Aitor1, AndyN4 and thinkingBanana like this.
  7. PietroC

PietroC Junior Member

l stesso è successo a me. Una delusione

8. Zaroff

Zaroff Bit poster

In the same boat. I bought 16 23/06, and I do feel the sting of their sharp business practices. Disgraceful really.
    I wrote support twice, left a PM on Facebook, not a word back. Not really an incentive to continue doing business with such a company, I'll be on the lookout for alternatives.

thinkingBanana likes this.
  9. BrunoG4

BrunoG4 Bit poster

I also opened a ticket (Parallels #3010810), same day of the launch of Parallels 17. But no response yet too.

10. Aitor1

Aitor1 Bit poster

Same, ticket since the release, no response. :mad:

11. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

Still no response to these threads from parallels and my ticket remains untouched

I guess we are all going to have to double pay for this product even those who helped with its testing

12. Aba

Aba Bit poster

This is ridiculous. Obsolete in 4 months???

13. AndyN4

AndyN4 Bit poster

It's actually 2 months in my case, bought sometime in June this year when Parallel confirm that it is released for M1.

MattiS1 likes this.
  14. MacW1

MacW1 Bit poster

I bought mine full price at end of June. Now they want more money. This is greedy and unacceptable. They are going to lose customers. I guess the think that since VMware hasn't med plans for offerings, they are good to go. This is true. If you are the only options, the things you can get away with. Good for them. However, the second another option becomes available, I'm gone. Thanks. I won't forget this.

MattiS1 likes this.
  15. BrunoG4

BrunoG4 Bit poster

There is now a "free upgrade" for users who bought Parallels 16 after August 1st.
    Since I've bought mine in June I'm not eligible for this upgrade. That is a shame, I haven't heard of a single person who bought 16 in August.

https://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2021/

MattiS1, GrigoriG, AndyN4 and 2 others like this.
  16. Aitor1

Aitor1 Bit poster

This "free upgrade" makes absolute no sense since you can request a refund within 30 days of your purchase. WTF Parallels?

Can we do something as a community? It's hilarious, and they pretend us to keep buying their software?

17. thinkingBanana

thinkingBanana Bit poster

Have been a Parallels customer since Parallels 10, upgrade every other version that comes out because:
    1. It is indeed a solid product,
    2. Often times older version doesn't work well or just don't work at all on new OSs
    I believe this is the first time they let their marketing team giving out middle fingers to their customers:
    1. Pushing an unfinished M1 version of parallel and ends the beta program pre-maturely:
      • The current 16 version runs ok on M1, but it has many paper cuts and bugs to be fixed; a lot of the issues are still active on this forum
    2. Shipping a product while knowing it will only last 4 months:
      • If Parallels keep the M1 beta program until the release of Parallels 17, nobody will make a fuss, and we will all be happily paying for Parallels 17 now
      • However, Parallels KNOWS the M1 version of Parallels will be obsolete in August, and they still sold it to us anyway; that is maddening
    3. Promising bug fixes and adding missing features, claiming "No ETA":
      • Turned out we have all been lied to; the "No ETA" translates to: "Parallels 16 that you just bought will STAY AS IS, and we will add your request to Parallels 17 so we can collect more money from you"
    4. Adding insult to the injury, Parallels sends out VERY frequent marketing emails for Parallels 17
      • It is probably just automatically generated, but man they should look at their forum and pump the break a little bit
    I don't really know what we can do here honestly. Previously VMWare is still competing in this space, so we can just switch if we are not happy. Now they are the only game in town, and that gives them the freedom to screw us over. UTM and Crossover do work to a degree, but they are not nearly as polished as Parallels.
    I am still having hope that their lack of response is due to the amount of pressure they are facing during a new product launch; when they finally have the bandwidth, they will re-evaluate the situation and give us a satisfactory response. At least, they did not censor any of our criticism here.

MattiS1, RolandB11, ManuelQ1 and 3 others like this.
  18. tonton

tonton Bit poster

First time customer to Parallels here. Bought version 16 in late April. Imagine my surprise when 3~4 months later I get an email asking me to pay to upgrade to version 17.
    Not a good start.

19. ManuelQ1

ManuelQ1 Bit poster

I bought version 16 on July 14th.
    And version 17 on August 10th on the promise of Windows 11 support.
    The fact is 17 didn't bring anything new for my use case so far. Very basic issues with Win11 requirements verification on version 17 running on Big Sur M1 makes you wonder if this scenario was ever tested. Or if Parallels was happy testing Monterey beta only.
    You live and you learn. This time I learned you should not trust Parallels.

MattiS1 and BrunoG4 like this.
  20. ParallelsU626

ParallelsU626 Junior Member

Another disappointed buyer. Bought 16.5 in April because of a new M1 Mac. I'm guessing I can continue to use Windows 10 on Parallels 16.5 then I'll probably not bother with the product anymore.