Push notification advertisements are not OK

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JohnA7, Feb 18, 2020.

1. JohnA7

JohnA7 Junior Member

I just got an *ad* via notification from Parallels (for $949 worth of software for $39.99!) , and I just wanted to say this is unacceptable. Save that sort of nonsense for promotional e-mails where I can completely ignore them, never make it pop up on my desktop. That commercial software I pay for would do this is simply offensive. So, here's my new notification setting for Parallels:

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 7.52.51 AM.png

NicW likes this.
  2. NicW

NicW Bit poster

I received the same notification today; this is completely unacceptable from software that I've already paid for.

Premium Mac App Bundle
    8 Top Apps. *Only $39.99* Hurry-Offer Ends Soon. Buy Bundle​

I do not want to see ads in software I've already paid for. I do not want to be upsold after I've already made my purchase. I DEFINITELY do not want to receive ads as operating system notifications that disrupt my workflow.

Attached Files:

3. Thor99

Thor99 Bit poster

Agreed, came here for this. Honestly I'm not sure I've ever received an ad via OS notifications from software I paid for. And in Parallels "My Account" online, in Personal Profile > Notifications I see a means to opt out of email ads but nothing about OS notifications.

4. Thor99

Thor99 Bit poster

I contacted Parallels Customer Support about this, and basically was told that I don't have a choice to receive these ads, they're actually wanted by other customers, and if I don't like it I can disable macOS notifications. lol

5. SomeGuy_

SomeGuy_ Bit poster

Honestly I didn't even know that those iOS-like Notifications settings are a thing these days on MacOS, so thank you @JohnA7 for the quick instructions on how to stop disable ads turn off advertisements block popups when people search for it. ;-)
    Personally I just went with None and unchecked all the boxes. Absolute B.S. for paid commercial proprietary software with "Pro Edition" in its name to load pop-up ads on my desktop. What kind of "pro" "appreciates" that "special" crap? Really offensive.