PVM file size keeps mushrooming every time I open it.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by P.R, Nov 22, 2018.

1. P.R

P.R Junior Member

Hello all -

I am brand new to Parallels, so bear with me. I have cerated an VM to run El Capitan in my new Mac mini with Mojave. The size of the original pvm file was 12.34 GB. First time I ran it, and changed a few settings in Finder Preferences, it decreased in size to 11.52 GB. After reclaiming its size was 10.94 GB. But everry time I run it again the file size mushrooms, even when I don't do anything but look at the desktop and then shut down. Next time was 23.97 GB, followed by 35.3 GB, and then 41.6 GB, mind you not doing anything but looking at the desktop and then shutting down.

This can't be normal and pretty soon I am going to run out of space for the PRM file as it keep growing massively every time I run it. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks - Randy

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @P.R , please follow the steps suggested in the article and let us know if that works.

3. P.R

P.R Junior Member

Thank you very much for your reply Arun. I finally was able to trace the problem to the Parallels.log file inside the .prm package. Every time I would start up or shut down this file would grow by 10 to 20 GB. I discovered that I had detailed logging on which was set during my creation of the VM for El Capitan. Once I changed the setting In Preferences->Advanced->Troubleshooting and unchecked "Use detailed log messages" and deleted the old logs (which were HUGE), everything works normally.

Thanks again for your detailed reply! - Randy

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @P.R We appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in to fix the issue. Glad to know it works. We are always here to help!