Question - Server 2008 R2 & SQL Server 2008 R2 guest

ZekeZ

Bit poster
I have a MacPro 1,1
dual-core Intel Xeon 3GHZ (4 cores)
4GB RAM
OS 10.6
Parallels 5

Created new virtual machine (lovely! No problems on install!) with 2 'decicated' processors. Rebooted - all working as desired. Attempted to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer {verified media has x64 files}. Running setup.exe gives error condition:

"This SQL Server Setup media is not supported on a X64 system. To continue, run the SQL Server media that matches your system."

Windows identifies:
processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) cpu 5160 @3.00Ghz
RAM 1.81GB
System type 64 bit OS

And I re-verified the x64 folder/files on the (original MS media).

I cannot determine if this is a MS Media issue or a Parallels issue or what. Any assist appreciated! Anyone have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed/running in my type environment?

zeker00
 
MS SQL media comes in 3 editions: x86, x64 and IA64 (Intel Itanium).
The last two are 64bits but incompatible with each other, are you sure your media isn't for IA64 (not supported in the OS you have installed in Parallels)?
 
Disk label and box specify "This disk contains x86, x64 and Itanium-based software only." On the disk I find separate folders for "ia64", "x86" and "x64".

ZekeZ
 
Success!

The Mac is not connected to internet, so I downloaded the trial version, b urned to CD, moved to MacPro, and extracted the files. Launched Setup and was alerted that .NET framework was not active. Allowed Setup to get things setup. When I got the Server Installation Center window I decided to back-out and re-launch the Startup from the purchased media set. This time Startup succeeded and got me to the Server Installation Center window and I am proceeding 'as expected'. Thanks for the question which drove me to a solution! I will post one more update - if/when I run SQL Server for the first time. :-)

ZekeZ
 
Misleading error messages are such time wasters.
I noticed you have 4 GB RAM, that means a maximum amount of 2 GB RAM for Windows Server + SQL VM, that might be too little, they recommend 4GB.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top