Quick access to shared folders under Win7 -- any way to get rid of the delays?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Metrowest, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

I regularly use a 32 bit Windows 7 VM under parallels installed with all the default settings. It nicely merges the desktop, documents and other folders to make it appear seamless with the Mac.

While in W7 it seems to access these folders as a network drive, and the access is slow. Often there is a 1-5 second delay in explorer when opening a folder, or accessing / saving files, etc.

This does not happen with an XP VM that I converted over from MS VPC which has access to the same folders.

Is there a way to get rid of this delay in W7? It seems like the shared folders are mounted as network drives and always have a little delay to access them because of network resolutions, etc.

The only tip I found searching was to edit the hosts files in the W7 VM -- but this did not help. Any other suggestions?

BTW, this delay seems to be less in the recent Parallels v6 releases but it is still annoying.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Overall I am very happy with Parallels and my Mac.

Regards,

Glenn