Randomly Shifting?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HeatherB2, Nov 10, 2016.

1. HeatherB2

HeatherB2 Bit poster

This wasn't a problem in the beginning, when I first got Parallels. It was actually after a Windows update, I think. And now, every so often, when I type, it will randomly convert to caps. It acts as if the shift button is being held down. When I press the number keys, it turns into the corresponding symbols. The only way I can find to give it a quick fix is to exit full screen and then come back in. I've been counting, and I've since had to do this four times just writing this. It's rather annoying and a large inconvenience. Maybe it's a problem in the Windows update itself but then why would the problem be fixed just by exiting full screen? Sometimes when I press the Right Shift key on it's own (without pressing any other keys) it just stays stuck. This is only on the Windows interface. If I switch back to Mac and press Shift by itself, it doesn't stay stuck. When I press Shift once all by itself, and then let go, everything I press afterwards acts like Shift is being pressed with it. How do I stop this?

EDIT: I've found that it's acting as if Sticky Keys is on. But it is not. I found that when I press Shift and another key, the Shift key stops sticking. There is an option under "Sticky Keys" that is labeled "Turn off Sticky Keys when two keys are pressed at once". This box is also unchecked as well as Sticky Keys. Why is my Shift key acting like I have Sticky Keys turned on when I don't? Also, only pressing the Right Shift key makes the Shift key stick. Pressing the Left Shift key does what it's supposed to.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. HeatherB2

HeatherB2 Bit poster

So is there no solution to this?

3. Hi, please try to reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue.
    Also as a probable solution change the VM mouse and keyboard setting to "Don't optimize for games" (VM configuration -> Hardware -> Mouse and keyboard)
    Let us know the results please.

4. HeatherB2

HeatherB2 Bit poster

I went ahead and reinstalled Parallels Tools, changed the mouse and keyboard settings, and updated my drivers. I'm not entirely sure which one did it but it appears that the "Sticky Keys" has stopped being a problem.

Thanks.

5. Thanks a lot for your reply and sharing results.
    Please let us know if you need any help.