Really basic question about Parallels/installation

ShambhaviS

Bit poster
Hi,

I have never used parallels or windows, however I need to now. I have a late 2008 macbook pro running snow leopard and I have Windows 7 (not installed yet)

Will Parallels guide me in installing Windows 7/partitioning my disk/setting up VM, or do I have to create a VM using boot camp first and then install Parallels?

Sorry for such a basic question, but it's so "pre", I can't find the answer anywhere. I don't want to purchase parallels before finding this out.
 
Hello ShambhaviS,

Parallels can work with both bootcamp and as well as independent of Bootcamp as a virtual machine.

If you need to setup Parallels with bootcamp, you may have to go through installing Windows in bootcamp first and then you need to configure that bootcamp under Parallels.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

Then if you choose to install Windows 7 directly as a virtual machine, please go through the below link:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22474.htm

Thank you.
 
Back
Top