Recent upgrade created a desktop icon on my mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gwen Nadin, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi everyone
    I recently upgraded my vim to 11 from 8. I am using Yosemite on my Mac side of my machine. Since my upgrade I have noticed an icon for Windows Xu on my Mac desktop. This was never there before I upgraded.

When I close down my win xp/parallels this icon disappears. Do I need this and am I able to have it appear on my task bar instead. I believe if I delete it from the desktop my Vm will close down at this time. I have had the parallels icon on my task bar previously. Now I have a parallels control icon, parallels icon on the task bar and the added icon on the desktop, win xp. Is anyone able to advise me on how this may have appeared and am I able to amalgamate? Delete Any of these so I only have the one icon on my task bar on my Mac side. It's weird. Many thanks for any help with this
    Regards
    Gwen

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Gwen,
    The icon you are referring to is Parallels Desktop control center, yes you might not have seen it on your older version. This icon can not be removed and it is a default icon when you start Parallels Desktop.

3. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Thank you for your reply to my query. I understand that now, but the other question and still a mystery is why do I have an icon on my desktop for Windows Xp too. I have Windows xp and desktop Control icon on my task bar and another icon on my Mac desktop., looks like a hard drive with Windows xp on it. Why 3? Do I delete this or leave it as it dismounts when I close Windows and parallels? Thank you for your time
    Cheers
    Gwen

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Gwen,
    The Control Centre icon on the Dock is available by default and cannot be removed but, the Windows XP icon on the dock can be modified. Refer to the KB article to modify.
    The icon on the Mac desktop is a short cut to the Windows XP Virtual Machine's drives. If you do not need this, you can delete it.