Remote Administration/Viewing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RoySalisbury, May 14, 2012.

1. RoySalisbury

RoySalisbury Bit poster

First off I must say.. I really like the Parallels Mobile App for my iPad. I use it all the time.

Having said that, I am wondering how I can accomplish a few tasks..

1) When controlling an instance remotely, how can I do things like attach an ISO into the DVD drive, connect/disconnect a USB device, take a snapshot, ect? There are times when a USB device needs "reset" under windows and the only way to do it is to disconnect/reconnect the hardware from the instance.

2) How do I drag/drop, (right click and drag, what ever you want to call it)?

3). Any plans to add the same type of stand alone "viewer" type of application for the Mac or Windows? I'd love to be able to control my remote instances from the full desktop of my iMac or MacBook. Honestly, the mac screen sharing just sucks, but the Parallels remote display seems much better. For the Windows instances I just use RDP, but that is not good for firewalls and for #1 above.

Thanks!

Roy

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Actually the latest Parallels Mobile together with Parallels Desktop 7 allows you to control both Windows and Mac. So you can connect all iso files and USB devices from the Mac side. As per the screenshot - you may use the usual iPad scneenshot option (home+lick button). There is no way to drag n drop files, but you may copy and paste them.

3. RoySalisbury

RoySalisbury Bit poster

I'm confused. Are you saying that from my iPad there is a way to connect/disconnect a host USB device? I don't see that. I'm not sure what a screenshot has to do with it. Did I not understand correctly?

And how from my iMac can I connect to and control a virtual instance on my MacBook (or Mini). I guess what I am looking for here is something like what VMWare or Hyper-V have. Remote admin tools. I can connect to and manage a remote instance just like it was local. Put that on the full desktop version and add the admin functions to the iPad app.

Roy

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

7. RoySalisbury

RoySalisbury Bit poster

Was the the answer to my question (RTFM) or someone else's?