Remove Windows Applications from OS X Dock

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrianC23, Mar 20, 2020.

1. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

Hi All...
    I have what is probably an easy question to answer, but I'm completely lost finding the answer on my own. When running a VM... Windows, Linux, whatever... Applications that are open in the VM also place their icons in the host OS X dock. I find it really confusing, because I'll have Firefox open in the host, and then also open it in Windows for testing, and now I have 2 Firefox icons on the dock. Yes, there is a little Parallels indicator on the Windows Firefox icon, but it's not readily noticeable when I'm in a hurry.
    What configuration option am I missing so VM apps do not show up in my OS X dock?
    TIA!

2. Travis_Metcalf

Travis_Metcalf Bit poster

Best Answer
    I was Googling for how to hide the icon b/c I knew it was possible as I had done if before. I am hoping this helps the next person looking for this answer. It's a Parallels app preference not a VM configuration setting. To hide the Windows VM Dock icon do the following:

Parallels Desktop App > Parallels Desktop Preferences > Virtual machine Dock icons > None

MatthewR20 likes this.
  3. GowthamR@Parallels

GowthamR@Parallels Member

@BrianC23 Hi, the virtual machine is installed and shares the resources of the Mac OS. It's a default functionality on the Mac OS platform to show the running application on the Dock. It is not possible to stop that functionality on the Mac OS. If so, please check with Apple support for more information.

4. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. I did finally run across a configuration option that removed the Windows Icons from the dock. Under Security, there is a checkbox for "Isolate Windows from Mac". Checking that checkbox does remove the Windows application icons, but unfortunately it also eliminates all my shared drive operability. Not really a solution, but I don't share info between OS's much, so I guess I can just flip it on/off as needed. If there is a better solution, I'd appreciate someone sharing.

5. Hi, at the same configuration tab you can choose any folder that you would like to share between Mac and VM and other folders won't be shared between host and guest.
    Could you please try and let us know how does it work for you.

6. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

When I select "Isolate Linux from Mac", there is a warning message displayed stating: "If you isolate the virtual machine, you will not be able to use Shared Folders and SmartMount, and you will neither be able to copy or move objects between the virtual machine and your Mac."
    If I go ahead and Isolate, then under the Configurations - Options tab, all sharing options are disabled.

7. NathanielH

NathanielH Bit poster

Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.

8. Travis_Metcalf

Travis_Metcalf Bit poster

Best Answer
    I was Googling for how to hide the icon b/c I knew it was possible as I had done if before. I am hoping this helps the next person looking for this answer. It's a Parallels app preference not a VM configuration setting. To hide the Windows VM Dock icon do the following:

Parallels Desktop App > Parallels Desktop Preferences > Virtual machine Dock icons > None

MatthewR20 likes this.