Resize hard drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DarshanG, Aug 9, 2019.

1. DarshanG

DarshanG Bit poster

Hi, use Parallels 14 to run windows 10 on my Macbook Air. My hard drive size for my VM/windows is 128GB. I want to reduce this, but the lowest I can go is 128GB. How can I reduce it to 60GB? See snapshot below.

upload_2019-8-9_13-56-43.png

2. It is not advisable to reduce the size of virtual machine as it can corrupt the file system. We would recommend installing a new Windows with desired hard disk space and then move files over from existing Windows.

3. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

Hi, I'm running Windows XP3 in Parallels 16 on a Macbook Air. The "hard disk size" in the Windows vm is 20. Can I reduce this without having to install a new Windows?

4. Hello,
    please check this KB article for more information.
    And also please read this.

5. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

I don't get why you would recommend "How to give more hard disk space to a Windows virtual machine".
    Anyway, since then I've switched to Parallels 17 and Windows 10. I used that easy feature in Parallels installation to install Windows 10, and now I'm wishing I had chosen the 32-bit version, as that would take up less space (I think). Can you please recommend the best way to install that, and then get rid of the 64-bit version? Thanks!