Run both OS X 10.8 Mt.Lion AND 10.6 SnowLeopard with Parallels 8?

OCC

Bit poster
Please let me know if it's possible to make Mac OS X 10.8 Mt.Lion AND 10.6 Snow Leopard "live together" with Parallels 8?

HOW is it feasible? recommended? or optimal? to run 2 Apple Mac OS X with Parallels 8?
Search of KB and Forums has not found any advice--so, I'd appreciate ideas and guidance.
Has anyone done this before? Any problems? Tips to make it work?

GOAL: Upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion AND also run OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard under Parallels 8.
Objectives: (#1) continue using legacy software that won't run in 10.8 Mt.Lion.
(#2) share files between Mac OS versions 10.6 and 10.8 apps in same session
(#3) sync some important 10.6 files with older MacBook Pro (2006) that is unable to run 10.8 Mt.Lion

FYI: Apple Care's suggestion is:
(a) upgrade to OS 10.8
(b) partition hard drive and re-install 10.6 on the separate partition
(c) press Option key at startup, and choose between 10.6 or 10.8 to run each session
HOWEVER, this only meets Objective #1, but not #2 nor #3.

Configuration Data:
Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Build 8.0.18354 (Revision 823166; December 4, 2012)
OS: Mac OS 10.6.8
Hardware: MacBookPro8,2 (Feb., 2011) Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz Processors: 1 Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Memory: 8 GB
 
Hi

I have not tried to run a mac os bootcamp vm in this way (as suggested in your post) but:
You can run a vm from bootcamp http://kb.parallels.com/en/112941
in cohearance mode. This may be able to handle your concerns about question 3.
You should remember that they would actually be running in a vm that is accessing the bootcamp partition and is also sharing the desktop.

I have tested the following method and it works.

attachment.php


You can also run a osx 10.6 just as a vm. ( I realize that the video is for windows)
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/select the Integration between Windows and OS X video. But there is information you might find helpful.
I do run snow leopard on my mac from a vm. My os x is server to mountain lion.
What soft ware is it that you wish to run in leopard. If it is something I have I can check if it will work.
 

Attachments

  • screen-capture-23.jpg
    screen-capture-23.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back
Top