Running Parallels 14 on Mojave - will it run Windows 7 and/or 8

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SWANDY, Feb 1, 2019.

1. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I switched from Parallels 12 to Bootcamp a few years ago, but since I currently only use Windows 10 for two programs (IBM Lotus Approach and Microsoft Links Golf), I installed a program called Crossover (version of Wine) and got rid of the Bootcamp installation. Both programs run OK under Crossover (they run with some graphical glitches) - however neither of the programs or Crossover have been updated to 64 Bit which eventually MacOS will require.
    I know I can't install any version of Windows older than 10 under Bootcamp any longer. Can Parallels (either the version 12 that I have a license for or the most recent version 14) run older versions of Windows like 7 under Mojave? Also, do I need to upgrade to Parallels 14 to run under Mojave?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi, Follow the link to the Parallels Desktop information: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/#compare
    then click on: What are the system requirements for ParallelsDesktop? This is information for PD 14 and should answer most all your questions.
    As for Parallels Desktop 12: (information direct from Parallels website about different Mac OS and compatibility)
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 8.02.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 8.02.51 AM.png
    While Parallels Desktop 12 and 13 will run your virtual machine on macOS Mojave, you will experience performance issues, including:
    • macOS Mojave guest install from recovery option unavailable
    • No mouse visible in macOS guests after suspending or pausing the virtual machine
    • User interface glitches
    • The function "Open in IE" safari plugin will stop working due to macOS Mojave privacy and security changes.
    • If you're using a VM created from Boot CampĀ®, you will NOT be able to boot that virtual machine on macOS Mojave.
    Our team has been hard at work to try and resolve these, but the issues above come from the nature of macOS Mojave, not Parallels Desktop.
    Conclusion
    The Parallels team has integrated the best features from both macOS and Windows for the last 10 + plus years to over 6 million users.
    Friendly reminder: now that macOS Mojave is out, feel free to download our free 14-day trial and try out Parallels Desktop for yourself. If you're an existing user of Parallels Desktop 14, check for updates to make sure you're on the latest release and download future updates.

Happy virtualizing!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. @kat, very cool! Thanks!