Samsung M2835 doesn't print from Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RichardR3, Nov 14, 2018.

1. RichardR3

RichardR3 Bit poster

Upgrade from Parallels 12 to 13, and carrying over to 14, degrades print output to program code lines of information about printer settings (eg. @PJL COMMENT USERNAME="RICHARD"). Following Knowledgebase instructions, MAC firewall off, latest driver functioning on MAC and sharing on, using Bonjour to add printer after deleting prior installations (and restarting Windows 7 after deletion and after reinstallation) is to no avail.

Printing in v. 12 was not a problem. Canon MF440 series printer has been present and functioning perfectly throughout this episode.
    Gratitude in advance for any hope of resolving this issue! Richard

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RichardR3, have you tried installing the native printer drivers for the Samsung-m2835 printer?

3. RichardR3

RichardR3 Bit poster

Thanks, Paul. I see that v3.0 is available for the PC OS (vs 2.1 for the Mac). If I interpolate correctly, I would install this directly in Windows after uninstalling the version provided by Bonjour (and not use Bonjour). Is that correct?

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RichardR3 , yes you are correct. Please keep us posted.

5. RichardR3

RichardR3 Bit poster

Within Windows the printer wants to output to LPT1, which does not seem to be particularly effective while sitting inside the Mac. To what should I set the output?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

You may select LPT1 by following this step:
    1. Start virtual machine -> Control panel -> Devices and Printers -> Printers -> choose "Samsung M2835" right click on it to open it's properties
    2. Choose "Ports" and select "LPT1" for Samsung M2835 to check if that works.

7. RichardR3

RichardR3 Bit poster

A very engaging experience! I'm beginning to feel now that this could become a career!
    After LPT1 (LPT2 & LPT3) failed to produce, I did see that the working printer in Parallels (a Canon) was working thru a virtual printer port. I tried assigning the Samsung to an unused virtual port (previously connecting a different and no longer used printer), with an error message return that the printer was not receiving power (but of course it was). Windows generously offered me the opportunity to use its troubleshooting tools, and in its typical very measured, searching every nook and cranny approach, told me it couldn't help me (been there, done that more times than I can count). Very curiously, going thru the "back door", initiating Canon to print a PDF then redirecting the postscript converter to the Samsung in the process of conversion, the Samsung printed very obediently, revealing that the Canon's port and the Samsung's driver were perfectly functional. My attempt to create a virtual printer port specifically for the Samsung was defeated by my inexperience and ignorance, which I would very happily be shown how to correct. :)

8. RichardR3

RichardR3 Bit poster

Miracle? Serendipity? Plain luck? While attempting to resolve a seemingly unrelated issue with MS Office 365, I was advised to reinstall the Samsung printer on my Mac. VoilĂ ! Inside Windows, in Parallels, the printer was now functionally ported to LPT3 and a virtual printer port! I will accept this as an intervention on my behalf by a superior power to release me from my dysfunctional captivity!

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @RichardR3, glad to know it works. We are always here to help!

RichardR3 likes this.