SATA IO timeout on Windows 7 boot

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RalfS1, Apr 2, 2019.

1. RalfS1

RalfS1 Bit poster

Since the last update of Parallels desktop V14.1.3, I have (first time ever) a problem with my virtual machines:
    All Windows 7 machines show a SATA IO timeout on boot. Then I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and Windows boot runs normal.
    This happens only on Windows 7 machines (not on XP, VISTA or Windows 10)
    Any idea what happens? :-(
    I cannot find any settings in configuration dialog to give Windows more time to initialize the SATA IO-Controller...

2. RasmusP

RasmusP Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue, although with Windows 10. My issue occurred after trying to reclaim disk space, and having to shut down my mac because it became unresponsive. (I only shut it down after having left it in its unresponsive state for 2 hours though).

3. Hi, did the issue reoccur after the normal boot?

4. So, you've reclaimed the disk space (from the Parallels Desktop) and then your VM and Mac became unresponsive, right?

5. RalfS1

RalfS1 Bit poster

@maria: the issue doesn't reoccur when I restart/reboot the VM in the same session.
    it came back after a new "switch on" of my MAC (i7, Retina 5K, 27'', ultimo 2014, 32GB RAM, 3TB hybrid HD)
    I don't have any other problems with my installed software, so it seems to be a problem inside parallels VM configuration and/or driver?!?

6. EmmanuelB2

EmmanuelB2 Bit poster

Hi. I'm experiencing the same issue (running MacOS Mojave, Parallels 14 and Windows 10). Boot has become incredibly slow (a few minutes) and I have at each start the same message "Trying to boot from SATA drive 1 ... Sata IO timeout ... 0000 .... A disk read error occurred ... Press CTRL+Alt+Del to restart"
    And having doing so I can start the slow boot process

Anything I should try as a fix ?

7. Guys, could you please generate the problem report right after the issue reproducing? Please check this KB article for more info and reply us back with the report ID.

8. EmmanuelB2

EmmanuelB2 Bit poster

I have just sent the report (307626279) with the data. I have deactivated my antivirus (Kaspersky) but it does not change anything and I keep having the same trouble.
    Thanks in advance for your help

9. PatrickH14

PatrickH14 Bit poster

I have the same problem...

10. EmmanuelB2

EmmanuelB2 Bit poster

i noticed two things:
    having installed a new virtual machine running Windows 10, process was fine, so the issue was just limited to my current virtual machine
    I have then completely uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security (which seems to ba causing a few problem elsewhere) and I have been able to start the session as normal.
    Will run some tests but it seems that the problem is with Kaspersky. Deactivating it is not enough but a full uninstall may prove to be the solution. I will run a few starts, and I will also reinstall it later to see it problem as completely disappear

11. GMB

GMB Bit poster

I have the same error message - with latest software updates done on Windows 10 on my virtual machine. I have rebooted several times - looked for other people with similar problem - hence this forum post.
    Technical report submitted: 309715687
    Looking for help to avoid a reinstall. I am a competent but to expert user so I hope to avoid a reinstall.

12. Yi-Lin Tung

Yi-Lin Tung Bit poster

I also have the same problem in Windows 7.But the difference is that after the "SATA IO timeout" message appears, it will boot normally. However, previous versions of Parallels Desktop did not have this problem.
    190504_1.png

13. PaulM36

PaulM36 Bit poster

Exact same error here, SATA IO Timeout (like the previous poster) and really long boot times, when it does boot. Windows 10 in the VM.
    If I reboot the VM a couple of times, it will eventually boot (3 or 4 times, so far).
    Started right after the last Parallels update: Version 14.1.3 (45485)
    Once booted, it 'seems' to be working ok, but disk I/O still seems VERY slow.

14. Cloud Construct

Cloud Construct Bit poster

Same issue here with the SATA IO timeout on power up, I issue CTRL-ALT-DEL and it boots fine every time.
    Windows 10 guest, I'd removed an old snapshot and reclaimed disk space. Couldn't say which one caused the issue.
    Parallels Version 14.1.0 (45387)
    macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)
    iMac Retina 5k Late 2015 with 24Gb RAM.

I concur with the above comment regarding slower HDD access too.

As I typed out this post I've just done the most recent Win10 update and now cannot get it to do it. I'll submit a report if I see it again.

15. AlejandroG2

AlejandroG2 Bit poster

I need to add a "me too" here.
    Windows 7.
    Parallels 14.1.0 (45382)
    MacOS 10.14.4
    iMac Retina 2018, 16 GB of RAM.

SATA IO timeout 0000 error on boot, need to reboot several times for the system to boot, and it "feels" slower than usual.

16. NancyF

NancyF Bit poster

ME TOO! However I am not that computer confident and I do not have a CD drive on my machine anymore to reinstall the file as you suggest This seems to have happened after my update so logically if your update broke it your next update should FIX IT!

17. Could you please start your broken vm, generate the problem report and reply us back with the report ID.

18. I am having the same issue with windows 10 and it happened after the last update. I have to ctrl-alt-del and then its super slow to start up

19. Did you try to reset your VM? I mean Actions -> Reset.